1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Has A Secret Fleet Of Automated Toyota Priuses; 140,000 Miles Logged So Far.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by LulzChicken, Oct 10, 2010.

1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "At our TechCrunch Disrupt event a couple weeks ago in San Francisco, Google CEO Eric Schmidt took the stage to give an impressive speech across a wide range of topics. But the most interesting thing he had to say what about automobiles. “It’s a bug that cars were invented before computers,” he said. “Your car should drive itself. It just makes sense.”"

Check out the full article here.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    (this comment is not directed at LulzChicken. It is directed at Eric Schmidt. And by the way, I love Google's website. I use it all the time, even on my smartphone)

There's no way in heck that I'm going to buy some Orwellian device that supplants my ability to control my car!

With a Ford Model T's mechanical brakes, when you placed your foot on the brake pedal, YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO "HOPE" SOME ORWELLIAN COMPUTER WAS GOING TO KEEP YOU ALIVE! NOPE! THIS IS AMERICA! The automobile succeeded over other forms of transportation because INDEPENDENT AMERICANS didn't want to depend on someone or something else - they wanted the FREEDOM and INDEPENDENCE to control their own cars and drive where ever they darn well pleased! Even on dirt roads, and across their fields.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you bothered to read the article you would realize that it is completely optional. Once engaged it beeps and to disengage you either tap the brakes, steer manually, or press the button again. Only accident was from someone rear ending one of their Prii at a stoplight.

If you have ever driven 30 hours straight cross the US, you would realize how nice it would be to have an automated chauffeur. Driving can be fun, but 8hours of long straight corn fields through any of the mid-western plains is enough to make anyone want to kill themselves.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I for one would love to have a fully automated vehicle. We already have automatic transmission, automatic headlights, automatic wipers, cruise control. Let's take the automatic technology one huge step forward. There's always the off button should you choose to have full control of the vehicle. When I drove 600 miles round trip to SF and back for the Green Drive Expo I had my radar cruise control and lane keep assist on the whole way. The drive was relaxing and my foot and thigh didn't hurt one bit. All I did was sit there and hold the steering wheel and it practically drove itself. I had to occasionally fight with the LKA due to some unwanted tugging. A full automated driving would make the long drive even more relaxing. A Fully automated driving like entering an address and press go is still a LONG ways away. I don't think I'll see it in my life time. But the technologies for an automated driving at highway speed is here. No one has put all of it in the same car yet. Lexus already have LKA, DRCC with full braking capability, attention monitor, PCS. BMW and MB have the traffic sign recognition. Nissan has the Blind Spot Intervention System. Many cars already have nav systems. If they put all these systems together to create a system that would take over the car when the attention monitor senses the driver falling asleep or just not paying attention or medical emergencies it could really save some lives. I remember a few years ago there was an accident that killed all of its occupants because the driver lost control while she was driving with her knee. automated driving would have saved them. I feel that automated driving would be a huge technology jump for the automotive industry. If you don't want it, don't buy it. You don't represent the mass.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On 10/10/10, three of four, young men and women, two couples, died riding in a 2002 Prius. The Prius went across a grassy median, divided highway, and struck a Blazer head on killing the Chevy driver and front passenger and three kids in the Blazer survived. The Prius passenger side front wheel crushed into the compartment. Five died and four survived the crash.

Perhaps the best Prius birthday present on 10/10/10 would be to offer accident avoidance, lane keep assist and automatic cruise control across the board . . . all Prius and hybrid models. Perhaps it is time to treat safety as a universal option, not a teaser to force sales of 'eye candy.' There will always be those who want and can afford 'bling'. There will always be those who want to be the 'human in the loop' but repeat customers . . . how precious are they?

Bob Wilson

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had read two previous articles on this, so I skipped reading a third. The other two did not get into specifics. I'm glad this system can be disabled. Thanks.

I could see a world in which the elderly and some other people are in self-driving cars while the other 50% of the population drives their own cars. I could see that.

I just hope that cell phone reception improves - it would suck to be on a windy road at 45mph when you lose connection with the cell phone towers and GPS satellites - while you are eating a hamburger and texting.