1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google loves the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stev0, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just noticed a search for "Toyota" in Google, the second hit is Toyota's Prius page.

I thought that's cool.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not incredibly surprising since Google employees receive $5000 if they purchase a qualifying hybrid: HCH or Prius. My company doesn't do anything like that. :(

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. Did our page come up?

priusclubsd.com?

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Even more telling is that Google is a huge investor in Tesla Motors.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Dec 31 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]369045[/snapback]</div>
    No, but it is the fourth hit searching for "Prius" (which is how I found this place, btw).

And Google search results are (supposedly) the result of unbiased algorithms, so their personally liking the Prius shouldn't affect the result.

6. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 1 2007, 02:33 AM) [snapback]369110[/snapback]</div>
    Off topic, but in a way, this is exemplary for the problem Google has: too much money, and not enough vision about what to do with it to consolidate their success on a longer term. The company is one big pile of money looking for applications. I'm not saying that Tesla Motors is a bad investment, but it's not exactly what they should be focussing on.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the nice things about having a big pile of money is that you can do whatever you want with it. And making more money with it doesn't have to be one of them.

Now if *I* had a big pile of money, one of the things I would do is buy new cars for my family and make them sell their old ones. They could choose any hybrid with HSD. I'd even let them wait for 2009 to see what else they'd have to choose from if the Highlander, Camry or Prius doesn't soot. I know my sister would take a Prius before the words left my mouth.

If Google wants to give Tesla motors money I say fine. Give them more. It's a start in the right direction. If they're giving to Tesla, they probably have some other ideas for where to spread the green around to make interesting things grow.

8. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 1 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]369210[/snapback]</div>
    I have nothing against Google investing in Tesla. But, as a company, they are struggling to give themselves a long-term future, and they haven't found the right direction yet. Having the most popular search engine of the moment just isn't enough. Things change too rapidly, and customer loyalty for search engines is zero (it's just a mouse click). With their current business model, they can go down in less than one year if something comes up at the horizon.

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also thought both Google inventors own Prii.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Jan 1 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]369208[/snapback]</div>
    And surprisingly it is also an example of why Google is on top of its game. If they keep thinking (and funding) outside the box, we all win.