1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gorebal Warming

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Mar 14, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In reference to the recent Bancroft-Arnesen polar expedition. The expedition was intended to dramatize the effect of warming on the Arctic. The two trekkers, Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen, planned to walk 530 miles from Canada to the Pole, swimming across rifts in the ice created by warming. Well, the rifts turned out not to exist, and the project had to be called off after only a few miles when Arnesen was threatened with frostbite. It appears that warming has a way to go - outside temperatures were hitting a hundred below zero at night. Bancroft and Arnesen returned little the worse for wear. "One of things we see with global warming," their expedition organizer Ann Atwood said by way of explanation, "is unpredictability." Uhh... right.

The above is paraphrased from an article in americanthinker.com today.

Quite funny. Was this past february the 34 coldest in the past 130+ years? Did China get slammed with snowstorms, etc, etc. Global Warming - how embarresing - the least they should have done was consult their weather models to find out the best time to trek across the polar ice - or perhaps they did :lol:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    post a link, then we'll talk

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Needless to say I'm shocked, shocked to find that one can still get frostbite in the Arctic. Yawn.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

As I personally know someone who has lead expeditions to the Arctic and observed first-hand the melting effects caused by "gorebal" warming (Kate Moran, professor of oceanography and ocean engineering at the University of Rhode Island); I give much more weight to her testimony than some rant in the "American Thinker".

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're right, it is shocking... shocking to discover that there are still temperature variations around the world. shocking to discover that it still gets cold in winter. shocking to discover that there are still snow storms.

You say this feb was the coldest in the past century... I can completely believe you, it was pretty darned cold here in MN. However, one month doesn't really tell us much - seasonal variations alone are pretty large (sometimes winter starts a little earlier, sometimes a little later, or whatever). Heck, just ask anyone in Cleveland - temperatures there don't vary along the same lines as the rest of the country. If the lake freezes, the winter gets bitterly cold. if it doesn't, it stays much warmer, but you get a lot more snow. Go figure.

How about looking at temperature averages on a yearly basis? Take the highs and lows from each day and average them to get a daily average. Take those averages combined to get a yearly temperature average. And then compare.

NASA has done this. They showed that 1998, 2002, 2003, and 2004 were the four warmest years since 1890 (in an article posted in 2005 http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingat...arth_warm.html).

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 14 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]405458[/snapback]</div>
    cant fool you, can we? i just thought it was as funny as the gorebal warming confrences that were cancelled due to snow and freezing rain and weather this winter. do you think the idiots who keep crying chicken little would be smart enough to schedule their made for press confernces in the SUMMER time? complete idiots - cut hey, they have tons of true-believers. the sky is falling the sky is falling........ :lol:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Small minded thinking and ignorance. While I can appreciate the irony of the story it, by no means, suggests anything about global warming. If those who'd use a story like this as "evidence" that global warming isn't occuring would spend a couple hours to do some reading to try to understand the global physics of global warming they wouldn't embarras themselves so much.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 14 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]405458[/snapback]</div>
    Annual temperature averages for the entire globe. Some doofus wrote in our local newspaper about how cold it is hear while trying to use this to debunk climate change.

10. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  11. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 14 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]405470[/snapback]</div>
    Algore used just these kinds of stories as "evidence" in his movie. The Katrina and polar bears drowning/decline references are two that come to mind. I don't think he was embarrassed.

Keep an open mind. Enjoy the irony. Conserve when possible, but don't dictate an absolute solution to a natural phenomenon that 1) may not be worse due to mankind's contributions, and 2) that mankind's efforts to "fix" may not impact at all.

BTW - I finally saw the Vostok graph where temp and CO2 plots overlaid on the Wikipedia site - not on two differnet y axes like Algore showed. According to the overlaid graph, it sure looks like temp changes lead CO2 changes and not the other way 'round. Of course, who can be certain with extrapolated data, eh? :D

12. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While in no way arguing for or against global warming, I have to laugh at Nasa's data about the "four warmest years since 1890". Just how did Nasa measure global temperature's in 1890? Other sites report data back to the 1870's. Serious scientists have at least some discussion on the difficulties in comparisons involving data collected using vastly different technologies. Our modern view of the globe where satellites are used for this stuff is very recent. I take any span back to 1890 or earlier with a very large grain of salt. The situation might not be as dire or it could be far worse. Given phenomena like glacial retreat, I suspect the latter.

BTW, your link was dead when I tried it - I wanted to see if it had any discussion on recent "warmest year" data vs. stuff going back to 1890.

- Tom

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Mar 14 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]405530[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you that the anecdotes weakened his case. Though, to be fair, his Katrina example was just that, and example of how/why various natural phenomena can and will get more severe and more frequent with ocean warming.

Not to worry, I've a fairly open mind about this...and it seems we have similar approaches to dealing with it. Accept the possibility that man's contribution to global warming is significant and take appropriate and reasonable action to mitigate it. If we're wrong good is still done in the form of less pollution and it's associated health problems in the short term and will have no negative nor positive affect in the long term. Something gained, nothing lost.

If, OTOH, man's contribution to global warming is real and significant then our immediate action could dramatically prolong/delay the consequences of global warming until such time when technology can help us deal with it better...or at least allow a few more generations of our children to enjoy life on Earth.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

When Al Gore (BTW, he does have a first and last name) came out with the movie, I did have some reservations about it. It is almost impossible to make a documentary about a subject such as global warming with resorting to some measure of hyperbole; otherwise, it would be so dry that it would be impossible for anyone other than a scientist to watch. There is nothing in the film that isn't based on sound science, but science is something that we are accustomed to speaking about quietly, lest we inadvertly exaggerate something, or perhaps oversimplify. But the fact remains that global warming research has been going on for several decades, yet until a few years ago got virtually no mention in the mainstream media and has only seeped into the public consciousness in the last few years. So sometimes it is necessary to yell and hit someone over the head to get attention.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 14 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]405542[/snapback]</div>
    How can anyone say with a straight face that Katrina was a stronger hurricane because of global warming? Hurricanes will get more frequent? What about 2006? Did global warming just decide to give the gulf coast a breather? To say that Katrina was a result of global warming is just nonsense. What about Camille in the 60's or some of the other stronger hurricanes long before there was any talk of man-made global warming? To use Katrina as any kind of evidence about global warming makes me completely discount anything else coming out of Gore's mouth.

The same goes for the two women going to the arctic to show the effects of global warming. they were hoping to braodcast to classrooms evidence of GW, melting ice, maybe penquins in bikinis, but had to turn back because the weather was so much colder than what they had planned for. Now I have read that the terrible cold was caused by global warming? So it seems all storms, all cold all warm everything is a result of man-made global-warming?

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 14 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]405555[/snapback]</div>
    algore now can claim he invented two things:
    1. the internet
    2. human based gorebal warming

imagine if he got elected. thankfully God intervenes occasionally - the 1969 Mets and the 2000 General Elections. algore is like billy buckner - watches the ball go through his legs at the most important moment of his career - the big difference is that algore cant even hit .300 - so far he is an 0 for :lol: what a loser. wonder where he is now - spewing out CO2 like crazy or buying carbon credits from a company he owns -JEEEZ he just makes it soooo easy.

17. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Climate is the means and extremes of the most recent 30-year period (i.e., 1971-2000) including precipitation, temperature, evapotranspiration, soil moisture and net primary productivity. Weather is the current condition of the atmosphere.

What Gore and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) have brought together is a 650,000 year history of climate on Earth while pointing out the apparent increase in temperatures since 1750 CE. The fourth effort by the IPCC used 30,000 peer-reviewed published papers.

No objective, rational, thinking person confuses climate and weather or short-term vs. long-term.

Attached Files:

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Mar 14 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]405568[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't that exactly what Al Gore does with the segments on Polar Bears and Hurricanes?

19. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 14 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]405590[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. I just remembered the images of icebergs calving off of glaciers. Oh, the horror! It's all showbiz!

BTW - Katrina helped prove that mankind can't trump Mother Nature. Build a city below sea level and surrounded by rivers and a gulf and see what eventually happens. It was a failure in planning from start to finish. Katrina was only a CAT 3 at landfall.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Mar 14 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]405568[/snapback]</div>

tell me how they brough together 650,000 years and could possibly have neglected the millions of other years the planet has been around. how did the glaciers melt a million years ago? how did they model precipitation? why did the ipcc change so dramatically its forecast as to the effects of gw in just six short years? how accurate was it with the middle ages in terms of its observed temperatures?

and praytell - how did they acquire 650,000 years of weather data from all over the planet? who was around to record it :D and tell me, if computer modeling in the semiconductor industry is so inaccurate using closed systems, how can you assure me climate modeling in an open system the size of this planet is accurate? And if it is so accurate - what will the conditions be in 2010 - just 3 years from now?

what about that global chilling scare of the 1970's? does the fact that other planets and moons in our solar system that are also experiencing an increase in temperature make you pause and consider other possible etiologies? or are you sold on agw? was your granfather sold on a flat earth? perhaps a family member of yours was a true believer in a earth centric solar system :lol: