1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got a finger wag from an SUV driver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mcbrunnhilde, Jul 27, 2006.

1. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was getting on the freeway this morning, and got in the carpool lane of the entrance ramp. As I passed an SUV in the regular lane, he honked at me. After we both got on the freeway, he eventually passed me and actually wagged his finger at me in a "shame, shame" manner!!!! If his window had been down, I would have drawn his attention to my stickers, but he sped away (using copious amounts of gas, I'm sure). I can only hope that he runs into someone who clues him in that those ugly yellow stickers make it legal for me to do that.....

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 27 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]293292[/snapback]</div>
    This is one thing that bothers me about using the carpool lanes solo: it seems that there are a lot of folks who don't know about the stickers or what they mean. I'm kinda worried that I'll get more than the finger from someone, like the poor Prius driver here in the Bay Area who was nearly run off the road by an SUV driver who objected to his being in the HOV lane. This was reported in a Mr. Roadshow column a few weeks ago. Not at all good...

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the finger wag from an elderly couple who failed to look and see if there were cars coming before stepping from behind a piller and off the curb into a parking lot. I was going a whopping 5mph and keeping a watchful eye out for unaware pedestrians so I was able to stop in time to avoid a collision and it was really no big deal, but that didn't stop them from trying to make me feel like it was MY fault they walked out into traffic without looking. I guess I'm just a reckless young whippersnapper. :rolleyes:

I've also encountered carpool lane jealousy on on-ramps; it usually occurs in the morning, when there are 15-20 cars backed up waiting for their turn to get on the freeway, and I hop into the carpool lane to get on the freeway without having to stop. There's often someone who sees me coming in their rearview or side mirror who tries to swerve their car somewhat into the carpool lane in an attempt (I think?) to either slow me down or to try to teach me a lesson. ?? Or maybe they were just answering their cell phone or reaching for their coffee and didn't realize they were swerving into a moving lane while travelling at a speed between stopped and 8mph. I just honk at them and swerve right around them (luckily the Prius is such a "skinny" car that it makes going around larger cars in small spaces very very easy!) :D

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've also encountered the HOV envy. It seems to me that those yellow tags on our cars are pretty obvious. It is American drivers need to control others on the road......if everyone just went on their way and followed the rules posted (speed limits and slower traffic keep right) life would be so much better.

5. bossfan

bossfan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 27 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]293292[/snapback]</div>
    In my immature, rebellious way, I might have been tempted to wag a finger back...just might have been a different one. :eek: but then again, with all the nuts out there...maybe I'd have just refrained.

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Looks like someone needs to make a LARGE bumper sticker that says... "see the Ugly Yellow Stickers? I can drove Solo on HOV." :lol:

7. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Jul 27 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]293458[/snapback]</div>
    How about "kiss my gAss"

:p

8. markymags

markymags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 27 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]293486[/snapback]</div>
    Almost looks like you are trying to say "kiss my gay nice person"... I think it might be the capital A that does it...

9. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just leave these on SUV hoods when I find them parked.[attachmentid=4274]

10. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow. Thank you, edselpdx. That really made my day... :D

11. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool edselpdx! Almost makes me want an SUV so I can get one of your army men!

12. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Jul 28 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]293809[/snapback]</div>
    Thats really good, just don't piss them off too bad.
    I parked yesterday at the Home Depot, and noticed when I got out that I was surrouned in every dirrection by SUV's, Hummers, H2's and dully Pickups. I went in to price a couple of items, came out and there was a shopping cart sittting on my right front bumper. As I moved it away, I saw the scraped paint matching the wire grid of the cart, and a pretty deep gouge caused by the force of the cart hitting the bumper. The lot was flat, the only way there could have been that much force was for someone to have pushed the cart into the bumper on purpose- hard! :huh: Several of the original SUV', etc were gone, no witnesses, so now I get to find out how well the touch up paint really works. Oh well, next fill up will make up for the cost of that. :)

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 27 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]293292[/snapback]</div>
    I think etiquette dictates the formal response to the "Finger Wag" is the “Chicken Wave."

Directions for the “Chicken Wave.â€
    One. Straiten out all of your fingers.
    Two. Place your thumb on your nose and hold your hand level with the ground.
    This should look like the crown of a chicken.
    Three. Wiggle your four fingers back and fourth.
    Four. State loudly and clearly the phrase. “Na, na, na, na, na.â€
    :D

14. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Why are you surprised that someone driving alone in a bigass SUV is ignorant?

15. bettyblue

bettyblue New Member

I've had my car three weeks now and cant believe how many rude SUV drivers there ae. I was a speed demon before, I admit, but this car has really calmed me down.

What I love to do now is blare "american idiot" from green day every time one of these drivers makes me angry. It makes me feel a lot better ;) !!!

16. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Jul 28 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]293809[/snapback]</div>
    Please don't do that! The dollar store carries little green army men in BIG bags for...you guessed it... $1. Then some labels through the printer...you can be imaginative here with your sayings.

I don't usually put it on SUV's who are actually parked by me unless I'm leaving, though...

http://kommandos.blogspot.com/

17. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Jul 28 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]293958[/snapback]</div>
    Why not? Are you afraid of confronting reality? Do you really know anything about whom you're putting your little droppings on? You're being just as ignorant as the SUVs you are accusing, just worse.

Why not put up fliers that educate them?

18. wolflady52

wolflady52 New Member

I live in Eugene, Oregon.....lots of Prius cars on the road here, and more all the time. Kind of de-fuses that SUV mentality, although it's still around. Of course, traffic here doesn't require commuter lanes yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 27 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]293292[/snapback]</div>

19. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 28 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]294018[/snapback]</div>
    Dude! Relax and smile at the funny gesture. My opinion on education is that if an SUV driver isn't "educated" by the high fuels prices then a flier won't do him/her any good.

20. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

edselpdx: So you admit that the war is about oil after all... ;)