1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got a Free ZvBox PC-to-TV Device!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Aug 26, 2008.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I spend a lot of time talking about how best to get the content stored on hard drives on my network/the internet to my TV, and so far the coolest thing I've found is the Apple TV which is phenominal, but only supports Apple formats, video podcasts and sites like Flickr and YouTube.

The problems that I want to solve, however, are how I get TV recorded on my Media Center PC and ripped DVD's to the screen.

The new ZvBox takes a great approach in that it just gets what's on your PC to your TV by creating an HD channel in your home's coax that you can tune in to. A few of us on a different forum were talking about it, but we hesitated to check it out because the thing cost $500!

Well, the VP of marketing at the startup happened upon our discussion and, long story short, he gave me a unit to use and review! Sweet!

I've never been able to have such an opportunity to review before. I'm psyched!

2. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    grats! sounds like a useful device

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So what is the connection path? I mean, presumably you have some sort of TV tuner in the PC (card maybe or USB device) that connects via coax to cable input. Then you record to the hard drive using Vista Media Center. Then you playback via VMC and output via USB(?) to the ZvBox, which is connected to your coax and then the coax goes to the TV?

Can you connect to the ZvBox over a WiFi network?

Sounds pretty sweet - though pricey.

4. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Basically, you have coax connected to the ZvBox, and it intercepts a VGA signal (VGA because DVI/HDMI have DRM restrictions) before passing the signal along to your computer monitor. The ZvBox also has a USB connection to your computer so it can install/run software that lets you control your computer with the RF remote than comes with it.

The ZvBox doesn't connect via WiFi (it sends the channel over coax, which is better performing), but I have the broadcasted computer connected to WiFi so that I can watch internet TV (like Hulu.com) and access media stored on my network.

It's pretty neat! I plan to write up a full review, but I think the main drawbacks are quality (which is good, but not perfect) and price, like you said.

5. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I just posted my review of the ZvBox for those interested. :D

Proud day for me, anyway. Hope I have the opportunity to more someday.