1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got a math question dealing with Gas savings.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by sandman, May 9, 2008.

1. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much gas would the U.S. save if the speed limits on all the interstates was lowered to 60mph and inforced ?

Daily =
    weekly =
    monthly =
    yearly =

I been driving about 62 mph on the intersate to improve my MPG and I am about to get ran over...

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not make it 40mph so you hate it too?
    A 40mph speed limit for private cars would make electric cars more viable and increase the use of high speed public transport. This on top of per vehicle fuel savings, additional revenue from fines and lower road death rates with the resultant reduction in insurance premiums, what a great idea!!

Do you have fixed and mobile speed cameras over there? Coupled with a demerit points system you could see a massive increase ...
    ... in unlicensed drivers on the road.

3. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wish they would lower it to 60 MPH I love driving around 60 MPH and getting 55 MPG but alot of times I have to go or get ran over..I just think it would be an easy way to reduce the amount of gas used by everyone..I hear people saying there are no quick fixes that seems like it could be quick but I really dont know how much it would save, but one would think it would save alot ...

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish people would drive the speed limits we have. I drive 70 on the highway and cars blast by me like I'm standing still. The BIGGER the SUV, the faster they go.

Tom

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tom (I think) of Car Talk advocated a 35 mph speed limit. I think there's something to be said for bringing back horses. The poop is an issue, but at least it's recyclable as fertilizer, unlike the crap that comes out of gas engines.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    back in the 80;s during the last gas fiasco, i think they mentioned that slowing down to 60 mph would save around 1.5 million gallons a day. now lets see, since then, average gas mileage HAS GONE DOWN, more people are driving, and average speeds are higher now.

so, it would be a significant savings for sure. but what i'd rather do, is crank up radar and camera enforcement, remove the loopholes, take the fine money and use it to fund mass transit.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't it Ronald McDonal, oops I mean Reagan who dropped the speed limit to 55mph?

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

oh no!!... reagan did not believe in conservation. i think it was Carter... Carter installed solar panels, mandated the whitehouse be kept at 78º in summer and 62º in winter. reagan came in, took all that out.

its too bad that demo's try to conserve only to have republicans come in and undo everything they do...

laws in this country are a joke and have nothing to do with what the people want. its all a "power trip" by the top man in an effort to "make his mark"

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep. It was Carter who brought in the 55-mph speed limit. He also told us that we waste more energy than we import. The nation hated him for it. The public felt it was its god-given right to waste all the oil before the next generation could get its hands on any of it.

Reagan was the hero of the day: He got rid of all that nonsense about responsibility and serving your fellow citizen. His watch word was "It's okay to be greedy and put yourself first!" The public loved him.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you should move north? Aside from the prairies, the limits are 100km/h, 90km/h near city limits and 80km/h if the highway is in the city (Toronto excepted lol). After living in TO for 2½ weeks, I've concluded that the average speed on the highways is 110-120km/h (with a few touching 140). Do the speed liimt of 100km/h and be prepared to be tailgated and cut off or worse, get a ticket for traffic flow impedement.

11. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i live in LA where the speed limit is 65mph but on average we are driving at 10mph...

12. JRGris

JRGris New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have noticed a general decrease in speeds. Even the big SUV drivers seem to have figured out that they can save $$$ at slower speeds. I actually seem to see fewer SUV's on the road and in parking lots. I think people are using their other car to save $$$. Southern California is not noted for doing this kind of thing so it will be interesting to see of this is actually happening. I have talked to a few people about this and they express the same thoughts. These are family and friends that do not own a Prius.

13. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Driving from California to Virginia I have noticed a general slowing down in US highway speeds. I remember doing 70 on a 60 zone and nearly getting rear ended back in 2001, but now I can do 70 on a 60, or 80 on a 70 and I am moving with the traffic. I think people are slowing down to save a bit of gas.

One thing that I am seeing a lot, at least east of Tennessee, is people driving while talking on their cell phones, some of them at 70 mph while waving their hands! But that's another issue...