1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got a nail in my Yoko AVID S33s - Replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Danny, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Over the holiday weekend I picked up a nail somewhere in my rear driver's side tire. The tire shops are telling me that I can't patch it because it's too close to the sidewall, so I need to replace the tire.

My Prius came with the Yokohama AVID S33s. I haven't had any luck finding those in stock anywhere, but one local shop has the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100s. Should I go with that tire or does anyone have any other suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  2. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to hear that Danny. Here goes my thoughts on the situation. It depends how many miles you have on those tires. I had one go at 7000. I was able to order a like tire. When I took a close look, I realized that I had to order another because the three others were worn so much. I did put both new tires on the same axle and when the where rotated and balanced, They were rotated front to back. . . they were not crossed in the rotation.
    Another concern is that the tread pattern is close to what you plan to keep. If buying only two... that would be another reason to keep them on the same axle.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Danny, I was very happy with Goodyear Fuel Max tires that I put on my 08 Prius. As it happens my Yoko tires on my 2010 are a little than half way worn so I bought a pair of Goodyear Fuel Max tires from another poster on here that took them off his new Prius, I plan on putting them on my 2010 so I have new tires for the snow season. I hope I'll be as happy with them on my 2010 as I was with them on my 08. If you go to www.discounttiredirect.com you'll see they are a few dollars cheaper than www.tirerack.com

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have under 20k miles on the tires, just replace the 1 tire assuming you can find the exact same tire.

Second best option is to buy only 2 new tires that are similar in spec to your other 2 Yokohamas. Ideally 2 more yokohamas.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 24k miles on the tires. The bad thing is that I am limited by what the local tire places have in stock since I have to have a new tire for a road trip to Atlanta Friday afternoon.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    24k, hmmm. Lets assume your tires have a lifetime avg of 60k miles....that puts you at an odd interval. You really cant make a wrong choice, it's just do you want to pay more now, or later.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 are pretty good, decent feel, good for RR. They are readily available, including Costco. They're the stock 15" 2010 Prius tire in our area. The tread looks identical to Insignia SE200, fwiw. They're all season, whereas the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100s might be classified as summer tire, I think.

1 person likes this.
  8. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the original equipment Yokohama AVID S33s on my G3 and will be satisfied if I get 40K out of them. With 24K on the remaining 3 tires, I would bite the bullet and purchase 4 new tires, as you may not be happy with the performance and handling with tires of uneven wear; and, the additional cost of 4 new tires is not significant in the long run.

Suggest you look at Tirerack.com for recommendations. Everyone has their opinion about tires and individual driving requirements differ, but I am considering the Michelin Harmony and Hankook Optimo H727 when I need replacements.

Good Luck!

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks everybody! I ended up going with the Ecopia EP20s. The local Firestone was able to get them trucked in overnight so I got them installed before my trip to Atlanta.

I appreciate all of the input!

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the Ecopia EP20s are more common? They're the stock tyre on all Canadian 2010s... no Yokos here.