1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got hit by a shady kid in a BMW

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Aug 3, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was finished reversing out of my parking space at a McDonalds parking lot, when I saw a silver BMW with chrome rims turn on its reverse lights. PLEASE DON’T BACK UP! Since my steering wheel was all turned, I didn’t have time to toot my horn to give a warning. He starts to back up. THUD. I park right away and get out to

The guy gets out of his car, laughing, and looks like he wants to bolt with his friend who remains sitting in the car - but the driver gets out anyways - a small Mexican kid wearing a white shirt and orange construction vest. Honestly, I was thinking this is not going to be good. (Before you call me racist, cut me some slack and put yourself in my shoes and read on- ) He starts to blame me. “Why did it take you so long to back out?†he says. I retort “I had to wait for (that) truck to pass for the drivethrough. I was fully backed out when you backed into me!†We checked out the damage to his Bimmer. He has a small scrape that could easily be buffed out. On my car, the corner bumper is pushed completely in, plus some minor scratches.

I ask him for his insurance information, drivers license etc. He says he has NONE of that. Bullshit, but what could I do? (threatening to call the police for driving without a license didn’t occur to me at the time) I get his first and last name at least. He wants to exchange phone numbers. He punches something in on my phone and I punch in my number on his phone and call myself to save his number. When I check my phone later though I don’t have his missed call for some reason. Now I don’t even have his number. He claims he has 2 jobs – one of which is fixing dents – but I’d have to wait til after he gets off of work around 5pm for him to call me and fix it. Bullshit again. But whatever. This guy is SHADY nice person. I can't help but get the feeling he didn't feel bad screwing over a Prius driver - you know, the type of guys that cut us off on the road. So anyway, he takes off quickly. I get his license plate, CSI-style.

I decide to just go back to work. After I get out of my car, I look at the dent. Miraculously, the dent has completely disappeared! The 80 degree sun must have popped it back out to shape. There are still some scratches near the corner bottom bumper, but I think they can be buffed out.

Incidents like this make me lose hope in all of humanity. Now realizing how many bad drivers, and people, there are out there, I’m still a bit jaded about driving. I wanted to tell you this story but also ask you for advice- what should my next move be? Should I call the police in a day or 2 if he doesn’t call me back?

2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have his license plate, call the police to say he left the scene of an accident without providing his insurance

2 people like this.
  3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Option 2:

Call your own insurance and have them take care of everything. Just provide the license plate # to them and they will do all the leg work.

You will have to pay the deductible which will be reimbursed after they chase down the perp.

1 person likes this.
  4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm with sipnfuel. You should at least file a police report. If you would have called 911 at the time of the accident, the operator would have told you that cops don't respond unless there is an injury (been there, done that). So, file the report to cover yourself. Sounds like he is trying to pull a fast one, especialy with that exchanging numbers on the phone business. If you do find his number and he doesn't respond to you, you could just text/leave a message with him to say you've filed a report.

You didn't mention that there were any witnesses, but it would have been very helpful if you would have gotten at least one witness

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Obviously he wants to do this all under the table and doesn't want to get insurance involved. Had the damage on my car not "fixed" itself, I wouldn't hesitate to get my insurance company involved. But without any witnesses, I'm worried things will get sticky since I assume he will deny fault. Should I give him the benefit of the doubt to call me, by waiting until the end of today? I have no problem telling him he got "lucky" and giving him a stern warning.

On the other hand, what he did is not right. If I wait a day or two to file a police report or call my insurance company, is it too late? How do I even file a police report (call 911?)? I have no problem speaking with my insurance agent, he's great, but I'm worried of the ramifications of even bringing this up to them or the police.
    I don't want to have to pay anything since my car is OK now, and I don't want for one second that I should.

Part of me wants to let this slide, but the other part of me really wants to report this incident to authorities. What is the best thing to do that'll get me in the least amount of stickiness? Thanks again.

6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Do not call 911 except for emergencies. You will get your ear chewed off if you call 911 about this.

Secondly, check your phone provider for call logs to see if it recorded his phone number.

I kinda doubt he will contact you before you contact him (he's probably waiting) but you can give it a few more hours.

If you are unsure, just wait a little longer as you will still have all your options given the situation.

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed with sipnfuel on the 911 thing. Look up your local county station and call them directly. If they aren't the correct place, they will be able to tell you who is.

At the least, you can talk to your insurance agent, and see what he says. You don't HAVE to file a report at that time, but his insight and experience may come into play on this one.

And the police would have shown up if you were insistent on having an officer there. You may have waited all day to have one show up, though. When I was hit in the parking lot several years ago (my car ended up totalled due to age/mileage/value/location), both of us insisted that a report get filed. We knew each other from college classes (accident was in the college parking lot), but still was better to have the report in hand.

8. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would advise you file the police report immediately. You can go to your local police department to file it. This isn't an emergency, so you should not be calling 911.

When I was rear-ended and the other driver just took off, I called my local PD about filing a report. The officer on the phone warned me that it was busy I would have to wait a long time. I inquired when would be a good time to come in (both so I wouldn't have to wait nor unnecessarily overburden the police desk when they are busy), and I was told the next morning. When I came in the next morning, the officer asked me why I waited to file the report! That is why I suggest filing it immediately, b/c I think the police will have some negative bias if you delay in filing the report.

I'm not sure what ramifications you are worried about. You are suppose to file a police report. The fact that the other driver didn't provide his insurance is his problem.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would file a police report (Your insurance company may be able to give you an idea how to do it online otherwise just do it the old-fashioned way and walk into a police station, explain to them that you want to file a report and they'll probably give you a form to fill out).

It's not so much that the dent fixed itself. It's the fact that he's driving around without insurance (Is it required in your state?).

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta love the Bay Area. Shady people everywhere.... except Blackhawk. lol

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some more detail - I am almost positive he is an uninsured driver. The ramifications I'm concerned with is getting into a back and forth (which I just don't have time for) with my uninsured motor policy, the extra headache, and worst of all, if I have to pay for something when all said and done.

I've been advised by father that if there's no real damage to my car or myself, I should let it slide. Advised me not to call my insurance agent. But I'm still thinking about reporting it to the police. Further thoughts?

12. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Having your insurance take care of this will make it seem a little more routine and benign on your part than filing a police report (since you already mention he is a bit shady). It really is your option to pay the deductible or not, so financially you are not worse off than not doing anything at all.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But see that sounds ridiculous, because what am I going to pay the deductible on? There's no damage! Just tiny scratches I'm pretty sure I'll be able to polish out once I get home...

At this point, it seems like the only issue is whether or not I want to bust this guy for driving w/o insurance + license. (and whether I'll be on the hot seat during that process).

Well I'll wait to see if the guy calls and will have updates for you...

14. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Regardless of whether you decide to file an insurance claim, the right thing to do is to file the police report. Not providing insurance and/or not having insurance is wrong and illegal.

Perhaps he's been in one or more accidents before and gotten away with it b/c no one filed a police report on him before. If this were the case, you would probably wish that someone filed a police report.

By filing a police report, it reduces the chances he will hit someone else in the future and still be uninsured.

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The way it works is you get a quote for the repair. Then you decide if you want to get it repaired. If and only if you decide to get it repaired, you pay up to your deductible and the insurance pays the rest. In no way do you lose anything by filing the insurance claim b/c you weren't at fault.

In my case I filed the claim and the repair quote was close to my deductible. It wasn't worth the hassle/cost of getting it repaired so I simply didn't.

16. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really should have gotten a look at his registration, that would have the VIN number on it, as well as his name and address, assuming he is the owner.

There's no excuse to not have a registration card (valid or expired) inside the vehicle.

Unless the police is there, I would get the following if available

Driver's License Number, Address, Phone Number
    Insurance Policy No., Insurance Phone Number, Insurance effective dates
    License Plate Number, note registration tags
    Registration Card with dates, VIN Number
    Take a picture of both cars
    Take a picture of the other driver if possible
    Note time and date, location and particular parking stalls if possible

Yes, a moot point now.

I personally would not let him off the hook. No one should disrespect me and/or my property and get away with it.

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many years ago my car was stolen, and then used in a robbery. My car was recovered, but with a major ding in the driver's door. The guy was caught, and I was called to a court hearing. He plead guilty to stealing some tires, and that was the end of the court proceedings.

I asked why I was called to the hearing, and the explanation was rather like "God doesn't always work in ways that we understand". I took a day off work, paid for parking downtown, they never even mentioned my car.

It gets worse, but I'll spare those details.

My call is to chalk it up to experience. If you involve anyone else they'll just cost you more in time and money.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm voting with RobH on this one. The police aren't going to be interested in doing anything since there is almost no damage. The collision happened on private property, not a public road, so the Motor Vehicle Code doesn't apply.

19. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry this happened to you mm05. :(

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: