1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got hit today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bretaz, May 4, 2011.

1. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sitting at a stoplight today, I got wacked by another car. The Mustang ran a red light, hit the G20, which then hit the GS300, and then hit me. The G20 was doing 360s through the intersection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oooh carp. That Mustang driver better have had good insurance or be taken away in cuffs. 3 nice cars taken out by 1 #$%^&, and 3 driver's shaken up or hurt.

Sorry 'bout that. :(

1 person likes this.
  3. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She hit me pretty hard. Popped my tire and bent my wheel. Bodyshop said about $5k in damage. Said most likely there is some suspension damage based on the damage to the wheel.

Driver of the Mustang insists that she had a green light. Police said we will most likely have to testify in court. I think she was cited, but not sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Major bummer dude. :( Glad you are OK though.

5. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, nobody was hurt. The girl in the G20 said she wasn't hurt, but I saw her sitting in her car holding her shoulder. I told her to go to the hospital. She was hit really hard.

I think she was illegal. She was cited for not having a DL. I asked if she just didn't have it with her or if it was expired. The officer said she has never had one, rolled his eyes, and said "you know what that means!".

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was this at the end of a green transitioning to red? Like the G20 was completing a turn on red? I guess I can't picture it from the closeups.

Car can be fixed, so no worries. The 'stang's insurance rate just doubled though! :)

If they were in a better car with a pre-collision system, perhaps some of this could have been avoided.

7. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope the Mustang owner had insurance.

8. TonyK51

TonyK51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad it seems to be only property damage at this point. Hopefully your baby will be back and running high MPG soon.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glad that you're okay.
    Just hate to see such a nice car dented up like that.

10. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am worried about the transaxle. It doesn't look like much damage to my car, but she hit me really hard. Looking back at the pictures, you can see my wheel is turned. I had to straighten it to put it on the tow truck. Also, from the picture, it looks like she shoved me some. I was sitting directly straight in my lane prior to being hit. In the pic, I am not.

I am upset that my car only has 7k miles on it, and now will have body work done. I am very OC with my cars. I don't think I will be happy driving this any longer.

I have started looking at replacement vehicles. I cannot afford a Prius.

11. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bret, so sorry to see this and that we never got our social group here off the ground. Let the legal system handle this as you were just a "sitting duck" in the wrong place at the wrong time. Be sure to seek "diminished value" as part of your settlement and it would be a good idea just to see your doctor and explain you were in an accident.
    If there's any civil action on your part, you want that as part of your paper trail. Good luck.

12. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So sorry, Bretaz, hope this doesn't become too much of an expense.

On that note, forgive me for asking the obvious question, since I've never (crosses fingers) been in an accident like this. It must cost you something, but wouldn't transaxle repair/replacement be covered by someone's insurance company in this case?

13. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was your driver's door working OK after the accident? If so, the car might not be bent too bad. If it wasn't, then the car is bent. Don't let the insurance company steer you to an inferior/cheaper shop, they will try. You typically have to fight with them to get them to pay for "proper" repairs.

14. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Accidents happen sometimes, and sometimes we are on the receiving end.

The immediate reaction is always to be really bent out of shape (pun intended) about the fact that your car (baby) was hit.

But at the end of the day, you just have to accept that it happened, that you unfairly and potentially have this negative affect on your vehicle's future value and condition. It's just annoying that now you have to take the time and effort to correct something that wasn't your fault.

15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry to hear/see that. Glad you're OK.

16. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am not really sweating it. I try not to sweat the little things in life. My mom and I were laughing about that today. We both have been hit by someone else in the last two weeks. I told her it really doesn't matter, that we are healthy and alive. We are very fortunate. She has a great outlook on life. Thyroid cancer in 1971 (really bad), and breast cancer in 2005. Those are things to worry about, a dented car is not.

On a side note, I was talking to a friend yesterday. I asked him what he thought about the 2012 Focus and the Elantra. He is an Audi guy, and said I should look at a VW Golf TDI. I have never been a fan of VW because of their poor reliability topped by poor customer service. I drove a Jetta TDI (a manual and an automatic) last nite, and I actually really liked it. They did not have any Golfs at the dealer I was at. I was surprised to find that there are quite a few TDIs in stock around town. They are actually dealing on them, too. The dealer I was at would only mark it down $100.00. I called a dealer today for Costco pricing, and they marked the exact same car down about $1,400.00 ($500 below invoice). I can get a really nice 2011 Jetta TDI, manual transmission, sunroof and upgraded stereo, for a little over $22k.

Not sure what to do, but I have atleast a week to think about it. Any opinions?

17. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Why are you ditching the car? Is it totaled?

I love my Fiesta, great mileage, great features etc...I would bet the new focus is very sweet too, from what I have seen its the Fiesta's bigger, more aggressive brother.

18. Geek_Law

Geek_Law Lead Foot

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What a flippin' douche (the mustang).

Ugh, and is it just me, or is it bloody ironic that you are in "Surprise" AZ?

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They totaled over 5k in damage?

20. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't drop the prius, that cannot be a totaled car! trying to sell it with a salvage title is going to be a pita and you will lose a lot of money....that is, unless you have some claims form the accident.

if you cant afford a prius, what makes you think that the tdi will be any cheaper? Ive had vw's, old and new...this is my first Toyota and it has already been cheaper.

if you dont like the prius anymore, drop it! but it is not a lost cause by any means...