1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got It

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Patrick1, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Patrick1

Patrick1 New Member

[font=Arial:14380e2401]It finally arrived... Took 4 weeks. Got exactly what I requested... Seaside Blue, Package #0. Picked it up in Oneida NY. Drove it to Fort Myers Florida 8) . Had a rock with our name on it from a dump truck in Virginai :cussing: and replaced the windshield when we arrived home. First tank of gas 600+ average 51.9mpg. Tickled to death... Techie dream car. Wife and I both love it! :D[/font:14380e2401]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!!

Wow! 600 miles on your first tank?!? Dang!

3. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh sure 600 miles and car is not broken in yet.. sure 600 ..what ever you say.. wind at your back going down hill.. :)

ok, all kidding aside... I too offer my Congrats.. glad to hear you like your Prius. pkg 0 is that just the basics.. I have a ordered off the net through Toyota pioneer pkg 3 bought in Nov 2003 (or a 2004 pkg BC) , with 22,000 miles.. with all the bells and whistles and added XM Radio...

My other Prius was a top of the line 2002...

Well keep us informed on you mileage.. have a nice day/week/weekend... .later

4. azemission

azemission New Member

Congrats! I envy you... I am still in the process of finding a dealer.

5. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

gas mileage must have been due to the fact that you were driving down to Florida. Reversing the trip should then result in terrible gas mileage !!!!

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Sorry guys, but if the tank is packed, and driven until blinking, 600+ should be achievable.

I don't hold tightly to the break-in period theory, I would attribute lower mileage at initial ownership in not understanding the car.

7. v.jones

v.jones New Member

Actually, from what I've seen so far with mine, 600 miles on a tank should be pretty easy if it's all freeway driving at 55 mph. On the other hand, if you're on the NJ Turnpike and trying to keep up with traffic in the "slow" lane (typically in the 80-90 range south of exit eight), you'll be lucky to get 500 miles from that same tank. :lol:

Been there, done that, seen the difference.

Vince

8. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

600 miles on the first tank does seem surprising. If that's what you were able to obtain, then hats off to you. Pretty soon you'll be competing with Ray Moore for longest distance travelled on one tank. (Meant as a compliment, to you and to Ray.)

FWIW, Seaside Pearl is still my favorite Prius color, though I wish you could get the gray interior with it.

How come you travelled all the way up to Oneida, NY to get your car?

9. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

Does anyone know how the gas gauge works since the car has a bladder not a tank so a float gauge would not work.
    I recently returned from an 1600 mile trip and on the last fueling, the tank was accidently filled until the fuel wanted to leak out.
    I had 192 miles the consumption screen before the first bar on the fuel gauge went out. Is the gauge now inaccurate or is this normal?

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Why wouldn't a float guage work?
    From what I understand, the float works like the tube you see on coffee urns so you can tell how much coffee is in the urn. The orifice to the main tank is small enough so that the level reading doesn't go wild as you drive.

11. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

Dan
    My understanding of the "bladder" is a flexible container - like a heavy duty balloon. If this is in fact what exists, then the bladder would shrink as the fuel is consumed. Much like the large (50-60 ft long) bladder fuel tanks which the military uses. If my assumption is correct that the shape/size of the fuel bladder decreases as the fuel is consumed, then I don't see how a float gauge would work.

I'm not challenging your response, but trying to understand how it works.

12. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

The float is in a separate chamber to the side of the tank. That is why there are tilt sensors to compensate for the car's tilt.

Like Dan said for the coffee. That has a tube showing the level. You are not seeing the tank level directly and if you tilt it the level will no longer be at the level in the cofee tank.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I see his point now.
    I don't think the bladder is putting on any pressure once you're below the FULL mark. I believe it is more like a plastic bag than a rubber balloon.