1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got Mine Last Night

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Anla'shok, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Anla'shok

Anla'shok New Member

Had to wait just 3 days after making the deposit. When I arrived at the dealership last night to pick it up there were two couples there ready to buy it if I had changed my mind.

Looks like it will be a fun car and is quieter than I expected at highway speed. Stayed up late to read all the manuals so i can check it all out today. Will see how hot the car gets today but expect I'll be getting the windows tinted soon.

Any new owner hints you want to pass on are most welcome.

Thanks

2. T1H1X38

T1H1X38 New Member

Congratulations! You'll love it!

New owner hints....Uhm...let's see....

The Prius is relatively quiet at low speeds. When you start the car, you won't hear the engine running; however, within a few seconds to a minute, you'll hear the engine humming. The gas engine part doesn't really need to rev but I believe Toyota tuned the Prius to do this so drivers wouldn't freak out about not hearing anything when starting the car. I'm sure it gets the "ball rolling" and warms up the engine for action.

And...because the Prius is so quiet at low speeds, be careful in parking lots (especially subterranean parking lots). Pedestrians often don't hear the Prius "creeping up" on them. Many often than none, I've had pedestrians in front of me, walk onto the center pathway not knowing I was behind them. I've, unfortunately, scared a few and have had to stomp on my brakes. It's a very "stealth" feeling for US but not a great stealth feeling for pedestrians, I'm sure.

Oh...and there's a great little compartment down the center console. I'm not talking about the armrest compartment, either. While seated, reach down below the center console but toward the front of the car. There's a little hidden pull-out compartment that's great for hiding little things. I use it to store my tissue-box...it's a perfect fit for the rectangular-sized ones.

Enjoy your new Prius! Check this site out (PriusChat) often as you will find new and wonderful things all the time.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

Here's the advice I give to many new Prius owners.

Go to the Priuschat archive. You'll find the link in the top-left Navigation box. It's not that the Archive is old stuff, it's that all the posts are the exact same as all these posts but without the pictures and avators and all the things that take longer to load. This way, you can really fly through the posts.

Start with the Prius Main Forum. Go to the very last page which means the oldest posts. From there, you just work your way forward. It won't take long and you'll be so up to speed you won't believe it.

4. annef

annef New Member

Good tip about the archives...I'll be checking them out too.

Three days! You are very lucky. I picked mine up the same night as you did, but my wait was about 4 weeks! Luckily I was able to feed my eager anticipation by reading the Priuschat forums and getting up to speed on my new vehicle, so I really knew what to expect once I finally had the car. Somewhere in the forums I found and downloaded some enthusiast-created owners' manuals, which I read over my summer vacation.

I'm so happy with the way this car drives -- really smooth and powerful. More of a pleasure to drive than the Honda Accord it replaced, I think!

5. Anla'shok

Anla'shok New Member

Too funny my previous vehicle (which I'm giving to my Mom) is a Honda Accord EX. It has more comfort features than my new Prius but the Prius is more fun, peppy, and handles better. So far my friends have asked the "do you plug it in question" and all have been surprised by the amount of room inside the car. Still learning how to drive the Prius; finding the blind spots and judging space in front and behind for parking spaces. Going to see about getting it tinted this week as it it hot here in Texas. I love my pretty new black car. I'll call it KITT if it talked like the Knight Rider car. http://www.priuschat.com/forums/images/smi...s/icon_razz.gif

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. Congrats on your new car! I wonder if someone can take the voice guidance program and digitize the voice to different voices.

7. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Congratulations on your purchase, Anla'shok. B5 fan, too? ;-)

8. Anla'shok

Anla'shok New Member

Yep I'm a B5 fan. Loved seasons 1-4 and some of the movies. Season 5 seemed like it was rushed. You were the first to comment on my user name, woo hoo.