1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got Mine Tuesday

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by NorCal Rusty, Mar 1, 2008.

1. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Everyone. I picked up my new Magnetic Gray Touring on Tuesday and am loving it. I am currently looking into the clear bra/tape stuff. Just wondering if you can install the tape at home. I already have an appointment for window tint. Any suggestions on the best window tint? I work in Napa, Ca and live in Redding,Ca. Hot weather is the norm.

2. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine came with tint, and it sure does help during the 100+ TX summers.

I highly suggest it.

I can't recall the percentage right now though.

Welcome to PC!

3. NorCal Rusty

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Patrickindallas,
    Thanks for your post. I am getting the tint this next week. I just keep reading stuff like, metallic, and ceramic and am wondering what is best for hot weather? I have no clue on types of tint and what is best.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Reno installed the VentureShield on my car at his home in about 4 hours as I recall. If you know what you are doing it doesn't look too difficult.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi NorCal Rusty, welcome to PriusChat! Here are the CA window tint laws from TintCenter.com. The CHP is a little more vague. The discussion on metal vs. ceramic has to do with the material which creates the tint, with the idea that metallic tint blocks radio waves reducing reception for cell phones and nav systems, but if your windshield isn't tinted you should have no problems.

By the way, the window glass in the Prius has a high iron content so it already blocks a lot of infrared radiation, even without tint.

6. NorCal Rusty

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Bill and Jim for the info. Looks like I definately need the front end tape. I will check out the different tints and post pics when complete. Thanks again!

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With so much Intersate driving I would be VERY careful when deciding on front window tint. CHP around here really has it in for us. I got two tickets in 3 months with 35% tint on the front windows. :(

We do excellent tint work at my shop but the price is normal, not like what I've seen some advertised here on this forum. lol

8. NorCal Rusty

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I tint the front passenger windows, I definately will keep it legal. Thanks for the advice.

9. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got a good friend who owns and runs three window tinting shops and he says ceramic is the absolute best.

10. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have this on my car. I suggest getting it done professionally because there is a trick to stretching the clear bra to the edges that requires some skill and a knowledge of installation technique. It's money well spent. My clear bra is absolutely undetectable. Even when you are up close. You have to strain to see it at an angle.

11. NorCal Rusty

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the advice on tint and the clear bra. I am going to look at the ceramic tint, possibly no tint front passenger window, and the clear tape/bra. It is harder to find the clear bra where I live, but I will find it. I always have the hopes I can do it myself, I am a man, but realize that my aspirations don't always match my talents. Thanks for some great advice.
    Rusty