1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my DirecTV upgrades today.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Sep 23, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So I was one of hte frustrated owners of the ever so crappy HR10-250. This is the infamous DirecTV Hi-Def Tivo boxes. Worked OK, but was so, so slow. Plus the local HD channels were not available unless you got a OTA (over the air) antenna.

Well, if you complain enough, they do listen, and today I got my new comlplimentary upgraded HR20-700 HD DVR boxes. THey also need a new 5 LNB dish, as opposed to the "older" 3 LNB dish. The new dish is significantly larger than the old one. Required a new mount with two extra braces (for wind I presume). Here are a few pics if anyone wants to see.

First pic: Old dish on the left, new on the right.

Second pic: The older 3 LNB setup.

Third pic: The new 5 LNB setup. The three are now integrated into one, and the two new ones are piggybacking the main armature.

Attached Files:

2. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you say Rube Goldberg? I really wonder what the future of dish is now that Murdoch wants to bail:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795009...d=1236&cs=1

He has a point. Just today I got an offer from my cable Internet provider for a package deal. HDTV, Internet and phone for $100/month. It's a sucker rate for a year, but would still save me over $700/year at first. By then the phone company might undercut them. Gotta love competition.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Sep 23 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]323782[/snapback]</div>
    I also got a package deal. All my stuff is through Verizon, and I mean ALL.

I have Verizon cellphones, Verizon home phone service, Verizon FIOS internet, and the DirecTV is through Verizon as well. It's nice getting only one bill. Unfortunately, it's also quite large... :eek:

4. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    so how is the direct TV thru Verizon???

thinking about the package .... but I watch hardly any TV so why spend the $$$$????

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Sep 23 2006, 01:49 AM) [snapback]323796[/snapback]</div>

Well, it's really just DirecTV, but I guess they have a deal worked out where Verizon gets some sort of finder's fee for each customer they bring to them. For any problems or questions I still deal directly with DirecTV.

Verizon pays my DirecTV bill, and I pay Verizon. I get a small discount off the normal price.

As for watching TV, I really don't have the time, but that's why I got the DVR. Now TV fits my schedule. Also, I love football, so I have the NFL Sunday ticket and NFL Superfan packages.

Also, the kids now have three Disney channels, Noggin, two Nickelodeons, Cartoon network, and much more.

6. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi there. Is the new receiver TIVO based? I have a hd tivo as well as a sd tivo through Direct TV. I had the direct tv non tivo dvr ( R15???) and absolutely hated the unit, not intuitive, froze up alot, etc.. The direct TV service tech admitted they were having alot of problems with their own ( Direct TV), non TIVO DVR's. If this new DVR is run on the same software, I'll wait to upgrade until I hear some positive long term reviews. Keep us posted, thanks.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Sep 23 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]323822[/snapback]</div>
    It is not a Tivo based DVR. THe Tivo interface is what made the HR10 HD DVR so darn slow.

The new HR20 is based on the standard DirecTV interface, it uses the same remote as all the rest of the receivers. I haven't really had much time to really start to use the unit yet, but so far no freezes or any other problems.

Anyway, this unit is supposed to resolve all the issues that DirecTV was having with the HR10 HD DVR.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Sep 23 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]323782[/snapback]</div>
    Yeha, but once you start adding premium channels to the 'triple play' package, that 100 turns into 150 or 160 fairly quickly. Not to mention that cable doesn't have the NFL Direct Ticket package. :(

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Sep 23 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]323911[/snapback]</div>
    I went ahead and made that bold for you. This sealed the deal for me, especially after having cable for years.