1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my first 635+ mile tank today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kirbinster, Jul 22, 2005.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Was very impressed to be able to drive 635 miles and there is still gas in the tank. Averaged between 65-75 mph most of the trip, with some short periods over 100 mph from NJ to Northwestern NY and back. Did not see a single Prius the entire trip, so it was real nice to pull into the garage and see mine sitting there. It was a tough choice not to take her, but for this sort of trip I decided the big BMW was a better choice. Sure I love the Prius and am probably a great sales person for Toyota the way I tell everyone how great it is. I love the 54 mpg I average with my classic -- But, for safety and comfort could not beat the 7 series. Its nice to drive with the seat all the way back so you can stretch out and have enough room in the "L" variant so the back seat passengers can have their legs fully extended and not touch your seat. Couple that with the front, side and rear airbags and the shear size of the car and it was a better choice for this type of trip. Since the car weighs in at around 4500 pounds (about 75% more than the Prius) I was very impressed with the 28 mpg gas mileage. I get the range as the tank is double the size of the Prius :)

Don't get me wrong I love the Prius and leave the BMW in the garage for all the local trips and even those longer ones under 2 hours -- but for a 2 plus hour trip if given the choice I will go with the land yacht :)

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Choice of ride aside, *where* do you get to do 100+
    anywhere in NJ and NY???
    _H*

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Legally - no where ;) But the roads where fairly open on Route 81 in PA and NY. My 15 year old son said Dad have you ever had the car over 100? A few seconds later I said "yes".

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why not take your Prius over 100mph too? :)

5. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Some how I don't think I would feel safe in it that fast. Don't get me wrong - I really love the Prius. Just learned my daughter will be taking the train into the city for the next two weeks, so the BMW stays in the garage and I get to use the Prius. I love it, was just poking some fun at everyone who thinks the range is so good on the Prius in showing that my Bimmer can go just as far.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but with 2.5x the amount of fuel :p. Seriously, that kind of range on a large sedan is pretty good. I still remember my friend showing me a thread from the TSX forum stating some guy got ~1000km on a tank (after me showing him countless Prius pics and threads with you guys getting 900-100kms). I guess he got jealous and wanted to show that his car is capable of doing it to. Problem was, that guy stuffed 70 litres in a 65 litre tank. So in theory, they're using ~1.5x as much fuel, premium fuel that is.