1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my new prius 2010 ..Navigation freezes !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by california2014, Dec 17, 2010.

1. california2014

california2014 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so I got my brand new Prius IV 2010 and while driving back, had my spouse trying to enter our home address and guess what, the navigation buttons freeze when driving. Trying to google this turns out this is a toyota navigation feature for safe driving !! So how do I override this? Or am I stuck with no navigation input while driving?? This sucks ..we have another 2004 MDX and that navigation is wonderful, Wanted to go for another acura but decided on prius for the green car and mostly city driving. Thanks for any help.

Another question - does the fuel gauge show correctly. Driving 30 miles after full tank and fuel guage is showing 3/4th full only. Also the trip meter..does it work after you park on is it only when car is driving? Last question - if the electronic key runs out of battery, how would the car start? Can the manual key be used..? Or just tapping the electronic key to power button work?

Thanks for your patience in answering

Does the voice navigation work when car is in motion? Sorry it is raining heavy today and so haven't tried it out. Thanks.:)

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome aboard. If you read through this forum (or just use the handly little search), you will get your answers.

Yes the GPS system does have a lockout feature for when the car is in motion. It generally locks out a lot of functionality once you go above 6 mph. As you slow back down again, it unlocks around 3 mph to allow you to enter your requests again. This is a 'safety feature', though many here, including myself, would love a way to disable it.

The fuel gauge is generally pretty accurate, and is a pretty good indicator. That said, like many cars, a 'full tank' will register full for the last 10 percent or so of the gas tank, so it's possible that it was not all the filled to capacity, just enough to mark it full. (On analog gauges, it's like the needle moving way past FULL). For me, often I notice that I have to drive 50-80 miles to get the tank to mark that some fuel has been used, so this may be the same. Many folks here have reported (myself too), that as you get low on fuel, and the last indicator starts to flash indicating you are low, that you still have anothe 20-60 miles left after that point. But do not try to test it unless you drive near gas stations.

Finally, as for you battery question in the FOB, while I am certain that there is a lifespan on the battery in it, I know that even with the battery dead, you can hold the fob against the 'Start' button, and then start the car. Even when out of power, it still operates (but does not transmit).

Please let us know if you have any more questions, and welcome to the Prius!

1 person likes this.
  3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To elaborate a little bit:
    Certain features can be used while moving. For example, speed dials and the quick preset destinations (like Go Home and 1-6, IIRC). However, you can't type an address or a phone number, or do a search for a destination, or things like that. Some day a hack might come out to disable this, as it has for the Gen II Prius. But for now, you can at least use the buttons for your common destinations even while moving...

The gas gauge is about the same as any other car. The second-highest pip probably represents the smallest amount of fuel, though (it seems to disappear quickly, typically, I think).

And if your fob battery is dead, you can use the mechanical key to get in the driver's door, then hold the Toyota logo to the key and press the brake pedal, then the power button, and it'll turn on. If you try to turn it on and it doesn't detect the key, I think it'll show those instructions on the MFD as well.

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you initiate the navigation input while stopped using voice commands, you can complete the entry while moving, i.e., while at a stop light, stop sign, or while traveling at a low rate of speed, press the voice button on the steering wheel and say destination. Then you can proceed to enter the address even after you started moving again. Once your home, enter your address as Home and from then on, you just have to press the voice button and say go home, this can be done at any speed.