1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got My New Prius After A Week!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DavidY, May 21, 2005.

1. DavidY

DavidY Reptile Breeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My wife and I went to our local Toyota dealership a week ago Thursday to put our name on the list w/ a deposit. The salesman said it's usually a few weeks to 6 months wait, depending on opt. pkg. and color. We then looked up their incoming inventory on the computer and after scrolling past several BC pkg's w/ owner's names attached to them, we saw a silver AI (which was what we really wanted all along) that was going to arrive within a week. Two days later he called to say the car just came off the truck and would be prepped and set aside for us to test drive on Monday! My wife and kids went down to check it out and fell in love with it (I had already test driven one a few weeks earlier at another location). We decided to go ahead and buy it on Wednesday and drove it home that night (and then went to the Star Wars III opening midnight show :D )! We've been totally thrilled with it ever since!

So far, we've averaged 51.8 mpg in 98 miles (70% around town, 30% highway)! I really like the Consumption Monitor, it's helping me learn to drive more conservatively (ie. no more lead foot!). This car is so much fun to drive, esp. w/ all 4 of us being sci-fi fans! My wife calls it the I-Robot car (I wish!).

Anyway, one question I have about the "auto-leveling headlights" which I have not been able to find in the owner's manual or online... do they really self-adjust their aim while driving??? If so, that's incredibly cool technology! Why doesn't Toyota rave about it more in their sales info?

The Prius is definitely like something out of a sci-fi movie! We are really pleased w/ it! :mrgreen:

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidY\";p=\"91456)</div>
    Congrats David!
    Self leveling lights is a standard feature on most cars with HID lights, in fact I think it's required because they are so bright. They level whenever the lights are on, but they react fairly slowly. They don't make up for quick dips in the road or when the car squats on launch, but if you add weight to the rear of the car the lights will readjust in about 5 seconds. You can see this happening if you park the car with the lights illuminating a wall then stand on the rear bumper. The lights will move after a few seconds.

3. DavidY

DavidY Reptile Breeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks!

I guess it's been a while since we've bought a new car (7 years). All this new technology is pretty amazing! Now the AI pkg doesn't have the HID option, do they still give you the auto-leveling ability? I do notice that the light pattern of the headlights is very distinct, so as not to blind oncoming traffic. My old '92 Nissan Stanza (that the Prius is replacing) couldn't even blind a cockroach lying in the middle of the road, with its old faded yellow candle lights!

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    As far as I know only the HID lights self level.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It does seem that the owner's manual doesn't cover this. I scanned my copy with keywords 'discharge' and 'headlights'. It does mention the warning indicator when the leveler malfunctions, but not on its operation. The repair manual and NCF does however. It is as Narf describes.

6. DavidY

DavidY Reptile Breeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm... I thought my window sticker had listed the auto-leveling headlights but after double checking, it isn't there. I guess I just assumed it was included since the owner's manual mentions it in the description of the warning lights.

Oh well, cool technology anyways. Probably would be cooler if it was able to auto-adjust more dynamically, though. :?

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Re-reading your post, you have BC package which has HID. HID has auto leveling.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Welcome! I just got mine on Wednesday! :D She's growing on me every day!

You're right about the more conservative driving idea. The Prius seems to solidify the idea that the more conservative you drive, the more money ends up in your pocket. Even though that's true of almost any vehicle, the Prius makes it blatantly obvious with those consumption screens. Plus, you really do get a kick out of seeing how far you can drive in "stealth mode"...

Congrats and good luck!!!!

:)

9. DavidY

DavidY Reptile Breeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"91526)</div>
    Actually I have the AI package (side/curtain airbags, EC mirror w/ homelink, security, JBL sound). I couldn't justify the extra cost and wait time for the BC pkg although the NAV & Bluetooth would have been nice!

10. DavidY

DavidY Reptile Breeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid\";p=\"91530)</div>
    Thanks, and congrats to you too! :D

Funny thing is, my wife and I always used to coordinate our errands/etc so that we could get as much done in one trip rather than having to make several different trips in the same day (we're about 10-20 minutes from nearest stores). But now... we've been trying to find excuses to go for a drive! :oops: It'll wear off eventually.