1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my snow tires on

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 5, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the Subaru Outback fitted with snow tires today. Got what I consider a good deal buying a set of used alloy wheels and Blizzak WS80 tires from a local tire shop -- $800 including taxes, mounting, balance and TPMS. I actually bought them this summer and the shop held them until today.

Apparently -- depending on who you believe or do not believe -- it may be extra snowy this winter -- last winter we had no snow. Well, either way, will not be putting tire chains on this winter. They are missing the center covers (shop said the previous owner had lost them) but no big deal.

Meteorologists Say Oregon Could See A Seriously Stormy Winter. Or Not. . News | OPB

Winter Tire.jpg

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    better safe than sorry, especially with little ones (y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm interesting. I didn't know that the Prius can work on snowy roads. Last year my car was Ice skating in the street. When I turn the wheel in any direction its just going straight like I were the accident.:sick:

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my experience, the Prius is mostly "testy" on snow or ice, or mud, or gravel. I think that's why she put the snow tires on her Outback.

I am considering snow tires for my Subaru, but the cheapest I can find locally are $1,200. I don't do the Tire Rack thing, which, last time I looked was around $900 for steel wheels and blizzaks with no TPMS.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Looks great! Good luck for this winter.

Don’t forget to grease the wheels. Some like to use silicone and others use cooking spray. Just something to keep snow from accumulating in the lands between the spokes and throwing a wheel out of balance. Also good to carry an implement for clearing them if needed.

The first real snowfall of the season always generates “OMG SUDDEN THUMP THUMP!” threads on the Outback forums.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my wife's Pathfinder Hybrid fitted with snow shoes for $845 total. This includes, used Nissan OEM 18" alloy wheels with used OEM TPMS and brand new Michelin Latitude Xice, and installation. Large wheels aren't cheap, but if you look hard at eBAY, you can find bargain used ones. I found mine at $270 for all 4 wheels with free shipping that came off of a wrecked Pathfinder. I was expecting just wheels, and no TPMS nor center cap, but when I received them I was pleasantly surprised to find out OEM TPMS and center caps intact. And all TPMS sensors work. If I had to buy them new, total would have been over $1,500.

path snow.png

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A