1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my sub installed, works great`

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Lockjaw, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

I finally got my old JL sub and 200/1 JL amp installed. Amazing difference in the sound quality, even with using the factory head unit. This is so worth doing!!!

I wimped out and had a local shop do the work for fear I would do something stupid. The shop placed a gain control right under the dash, easy to reach. They crossed over using the back speakers, I believe at the head unit itself, using line level converters. The front speakers go through a separate amp where the volume is controlled. My amp luckily can turn off and on based on the presence of a signal which made the install a little more simple. The guy did admit that he had to take the dash apart to get to the back of the head unit, over 2 hours. My amp sits in the plastic compartment in the trunk perfectly. A little velcro tape and I was good to go. On days when the wife insists on taking the stroller, I can pull out the sub box as I installed some quick connect plugs.

As for mileage, I have yet to see any difference, though my car is still in the break in period. Also I don't listen to too much Snoop Dog, so I don't generally tax the amp too much.

-Steve

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hay Lockjaw! i'm also thinking about a sub.... as a lot of the bluetooth and interactive voice functions run through the factory amp, do your still work? who in Hickory did your install? I'm a little scared to get one done here, as I doubt any of the car stereo places have worked on a Prius before.....

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jun 15 2007, 07:27 AM) [snapback]462189[/snapback]</div>

I just went to a local car stereo shop called Freeman's. They said the job really wasnt that hard except for getting the dash opened up. This was the first Prius they had worked on, no so different to other Toyotas in many ways. I have the basic stereo system (no Nav or Bluetooth) but the sub won't make any difference since it is hooked up "downstream" from your head unit. I actually use a portable blue tooth device called the Supertooth by Blue Ant. Clips on the car visor, works wonderfully and no install needed.

oh, the sound will be MUCH better with a sub with minimal change in milage.