1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my TomTom Go 700

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Because I didn't feel like shelling out the extra $2000 for onboard navigation system, I decided to take some of the cash I have budgeted for my Prius and ordered a TomTom Go 700 navigation system -- after all said and done, I got it for about $725 shipped.

All in all it's pretty cool! It's navigated me successfully to places where I've never been and it even got the wife into Reading, PA from a starting point pretty far away from our house (in Delaware), saving her the hassle of driving back down to a familliar area before starting her trip... So, the nitty gritty:

It's bluetooth enabled so you can use your cell phone to make calls through it to points of interest whose phone numbers have been programmed in. You can also subscribe to a $5/month service that updates your travel path with weather and traffic conditions, rerouting you appropriately. You can navigate to an address, point of interest, zip code, city, and several other things. It's quite configurable and it runs on compressed version of linux making some of it fall under the GPL, so there are 3rd party programs and add-ons you can load up.

I'll admit, I did get a few extra voice packs (Yoda, Ozzy, Captain Picard, Darth Vader, James Bond, Homer Simpsion and a few others), which is all good and fun, till it starts becoming really annoying, but there's nothing quite like hearing a bad voice actor doing Ozzy... "In 800 meters, get on the f-f-fff--fu**ing motorway." The thing I *hate* about it (and this is apparently common with most GPS systems) is the inaccuracy of the POI's... gas stations, restaurants and even theatres are often on the wrong side of the road, inaccurately placed or all together missing. Since TomTom is based out of Europe, there's been quite a movement to maintain a custom list of POI's that folks have made available for download, but no such luck here in the states.

All in all, I'm glad I got this -- between our occasional day trips, my concerts, and the future trips I'm sure we'll be taking in the Prius, it's a good buy. Now, if I can only find a bluetooth cell phone that has the OBEX protocol enabled so it'll work with the Prius... I'm looking at the MM-A940.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is interesting my only gripe with my iQue is that you are dependent on Garmin for up dates and mods and it is Mac incompatable with out some serious work.

3. BobR

BobR Member

Do you have the 500 or 600 series maps on your Tomtom? The 600 series is the latest and has a number of improvements over the 500, including POIs.
    TomTom will give you a free upgrade if bought your Go after Nov. 20th.

4. Wynder

Wynder New Member

It came with the latest firmware -- not sure about the maps, but from the literature I've read, the 700's come with the most up to date maps of the US and Canada.

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

It's very cool that people can develop 3rd party stuff for it. However, with the latest firmware update (that adds some more Bluetooth functionality), the older apps won't work and an SDK doesn't look like it'll be coming out for a couple more months.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TomTom is very cool... you can even run the whole app on some cellphones (if they have bluetooth) and not even have to buy the unit at all. You'd just need to buy their BT GPS module.

They're definitely pushing into different areas. :)

7. kente777

kente777 New Member

How big is the screen? (compared to the MFD)

Also, when you say it's bluetooth enabled, you mean it allows hands free cell phone operation?

Thanks.

Ken

8. BobR

BobR Member

It is a 3.5†TFT screen. Small when compared to the MFD, but certainly big enough.

Yes, the Go 700 allows for hands free Bluetooth cell phone calls. It also uses the phone for traffic and weather data. It can even download updated city maps if needed.

9. kente777

kente777 New Member

Bob,

Does the unit itself have a speaker or does it tie directly to the system's speaker system?

Ken

10. BobR

BobR Member

It has a speaker itself that is used. But there is an option of an External Microphone and Permanent Docking Kit that will use the cars speakers. I have no idea if it is compatible with the Prius.