1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got My TomTom

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

So, I finally accepted the fact that I wasn't dropping an extra two grand on the Nav and decided not to wait till I got the car before getting a GPS system -- I ordered the TomTom GO 700 seeing as I have a bit of travelling to do before I get my car anyways.

Does anyone else use it at all? I was actually wondering if it would show the coordinates of its current location in addition to mapping and plotting and navigating.

Rob

PS -- I'm *really* tempted to get the John Clese voicepack for it. :)

2. kente777

kente777 New Member

I'm thinking about getting it myself. I'd be interested in how this product works. Let us know.

Ken

3. BobR

BobR Member

I have a TomTom Classic that I'm pretty happy with. The 700 is fantastic with the Traffic and bluetooth cellphone.

I suggest getting a sunshade for it. You will quickly notice how hard it is to view in direct sunlight. There are a couple out there, I got the GlareStomper II and like when not in use protects the screen.
    http://www.bidnutman.com/
    New maps have just been released; you should be able to get the update for free.
    Check out: www.mytomtomgo.com

Bob

4. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Thanks, Bob!

I'll get these in advance -- I'll post my thoughts about it once I get it and see how things work. :) I'm still hoping that I can get the raw coordinates displayed somehow... I'm doing some genealogy research and wanted to notate the locations of some family POIs. ;p

5. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have Tomtom Navigator 5 for my smartphone. The screen is smaller but the software is essentially the same as the Go 700. Use it mostly in my truck but I've compared it to the Nav in CarMyne and it works about as well. Has a nice 3D display that is easy to follow and it calculates routes quickly. It displays coordinates for the current location but not altitude. Lots of folks like the John Clese voice prompts but I've stuck with the defaults. My wife does prefer CarMyne's voice to Tomtom's Lori. Not having the Nav lockout issue while in motion is a real plus. Only bad with Tomtom is there support system is slow but at least they do reply eventually.

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So the TomTom 700 will pay for itself after two NAV cd udpates from Toyota, or sooner considering. :D

7. Wynder

Wynder New Member

That's what I'm hoping! ;p

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're not using it on a Series 60 phone by chance?

9. Wynder

Wynder New Member

No bluetooth phone, yet -- my carrier is SprintPCS, so I still have to do a bit a research to find a decent phone ($250 or so) to use with the car/TomTom.

10. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have Tomtom Navigator 5 on a Sprint Treo 650. It's nice because I can also install Outdoor Navigator for hiking or boating...

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ah... I know you can install it on a Series 60 phone if you use the UK version and feed it the US maps. I was thinking of trying that out myself.