1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got new Gen2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tombukt2, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Got a new generation 2 today it's an '08 with the upgraded stereo in the fog lights 700 bucks leather interior gray silver outside The hood's got really rough exterior paint It's still the aluminum hood and all but I don't know what's happening maybe just sitting in the sun. The guy can't remember what happened to the car but apparently his son made it home with it there was some lights on some funny business and he just parked it and he was a student so I guess he was biking to school. This thing just has been sitting for about he thinks about 3 months maybe four The car is clean inside has a clear title not salvage. I'm going to take a 12 volt up there and my HV battery charger I've got access to an outlet plug everything up and see what kind of readings I got I guess I tried my noco genius the 70 model and I couldn't get anything through the battery so it may be very dead. Maybe I'll go ahead and grab a battery.

Prius Rising and SFO like this.
  2. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Original cat?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All original The kid who was driving it drove back from campus or something and something happened The father can't remember exactly what and they just parked it and now everything is probably dead It's been about 4 months so I'm going to put a 12 volt in it and see if I can see what's up the oil looks good in it everything looks a-okay but you never know far as I can tell it's all original looks like probably nothing has been done to it there's no receipts in the glove box or anything.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Walked up to the car today with two very ugly disgusting looking fobs that go with the car put a new 12 volt in the back The car started right up and we drove it off and drove it home drove like a champ no display no check engine lights nothing brakes work perfectly no MSD it's a four button you know or six button with map and it's not coming on so I've got a troubleshoot this tomorrow doesn't do anything on boot but the car runs like a champ battery doesn't seem to be getting very hot me ran it all the way home 75 mph we check the oil and the coolant before we left nothing at all happening very boring not bad for 700 bucks everything is straight and looks presentable.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her tom?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    180K was that the dealer a few months ago and they told her it would need a new MFD 1700 some kind of coolant system repair for $2,400 and the gas tank replaced because the gas gauge isn't working or it's flashing and when I was first getting the car running when I had my battery charger hooked up to the battery leads and no battery I had a display the gas gauge was flashing one dot I put 5 gallons in it it didn't fill it up and it didn't run back at me and then I had no display so I don't know if that's working or not. I don't see any coolant leaking The belt is on the water pump it didn't overheat all the way from Durham to Raleigh on the highway at 75 mph so I'm not sure what the cooling system deal is it had cooling in it when I got to the car I topped it off with maybe a Coke bottle worth.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the a/c work?

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Everything on the car works the AC works but since the MFD is out black I have to use the steering wheel buttons The MFD is a multi button affair with NAV I don't really care about the nav I also have no heads up display which seems odd because it was on when I first powered up the car for a minute and the gas gauge was blinking. So I went and got 5 gallons of gas in the gas can and dump that in and it didn't even sound like it was getting close to being full so I kind of believe it was almost empty. All the fuses and everything look great I'm used to riding without a display so not too bad I'm not used to not having my MFD though apparently in 2022 this car was at the dealer for a $2,400 converter and O2 sensor so I guess it got stolen so it has a brand new factory cat on it Jesus. T i s shows nothing in orange nothing highlighted and everything looking like it's running great My other half was driving at home and it was running 75 mph without any issue. So if this display stays dead I'll get a new one from Texas hybrid. It's funny these dealer receipts don't say anything about the $2,400 cooling system repair declined on what the repair needed was or is it's not showing any signs of coolant leaking or overheating so I'll watch it for a couple of days see if the coolant goes down and the jug. We're in no hurry to drive this thing any kind of way it just was picked up for a spare so when the Gen 3 is down there's a reliable car that can take up the slack.

bisco likes this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Theyres a few more I need look at locally too. Not this inexpensive though.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's weird because when I initially went to go up there and try to get this car running I put my battery charger on the 30 amp mode plugged it up to the battery in the back and it would just turn on orange light would indicate it was charging it would hum stay on about 20 seconds and then the Schumacher charger would turn right off like it wasn't detecting enough battery to even charge I tried this twice then I just pulled the battery out put it in the 30 amp mode and hook The leads directly to the battery terminals and went up to the front of the car and turn the car on and the whole display lit up and it was flickering in time with the battery charger cycling That's when I noticed the gas gauge was flickering so then I determined well I'm going to need to get a battery so I disconnected my charger turned everything off went and got a battery soon as I put the battery in and started the car I had no dash and it hasn't come back on since.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Plugging the '05 Gen 2 display into the two white plugs right behind the steering wheel that's me nothing that display doesn't light up the turn signals don't show I can hear the turn signal relay but nothing not even the passenger side airbag and it's detection so the plug pinouts are completely different. That is a fact I have the original display that's sitting in the car where it belongs it is now working I left the white plug in the trunk unplugged for 3 hours while I did some other things now it's on in the gas gauge is flashing like it's empty but I put 5 gallons in it and I'll be hard pressed to believe I've even used two I'm going to put five more in and then see what happens that should bring me to about 7 in the tank maybe eight. For what it's worth unplugging my dash doesn't help my MFD unplugging my MFD doesn't help the dash The clock the kilometers change and I can reset the miles when the display is on but the MFD nothing and I mean it's black. I plugged in a non nav MFD that I know works that is not the long plug and not the little one but the middle plug is the one that powers the MFD when that was plugged in into this '08 car with nav it wouldn't even light up the non nav MFD nothing but the kilometers and the clock and all that worked just not the MFD black seems to me like there's a feed to the MFD problem but everything in the car works all those fuses that claim to work the dash lights and the radio and the dome and all of those fuses must be good because all of those products work perfectly everything in the car works. When the wrong display as in speedometer was connected my SKS wouldn't even work The minute I plugged up the display that belongs in the car which is still in the dash back up to the white plugs SKS works everything is fine but I know something's going on because that display cuts out a lot more than my '09 that I drive that we've been talking about for years and the MFD is not on those are clues to somethings I'm kind of feed.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Had a guy come out today His name is Shane Clark lives up in the 336 area of North Carolina Guilford county He brought me a real nice looking built up hybrid battery He does spray the top covers but he does not cover the stickers It's a nice black looking affair I have a picture but I don't post pictures here . Was interesting listening to him talk about this stuff making me wonder more and more everyday. But he was a nice guy He has a shop He's doing like I don't know 60 modules at a time balancing bus bars and all of it The battery he provided looks really good nice and clean so on and so forth 7:50 He came to me really nice fella We had a great time talking and BSN well putting the battery in of course I already have the battery out in the front end off and it's all turned around so he can check whatever he wants to check etc. But was a pretty good experience The car is running I can't see anything on the MFD It is still dead in the water and nothing that I put their works. I have to get some thin pins so I can test and see if I actually have power going to the unit. The plug that matters on the MFD is the plug that has the two different types of connectors in it It has flat like spade looking females and tiny rounds mixed in one plug. Take a look . The rest of the plugs must be for other functions since wires GPS information from under the seat whatever but I have a blank display and if I plug in another unit stays blank doesn't even flicker or anything like it did in other times and other units and other cars so this seems to be I don't know what but I'm not interested in the GPS function if I could get a regular MFD to work the plug with the power wires and all that like in my '08 without nav the plug that's needed is both in both cars is the same The pin out the plug everything The additional plugs that go to the GPS MFD well those plugs are different and the receptacles aren't on the back of the non nav MFD but I don't think that really should matter I should be able to put a non nav MFD and have regular functions of said MFD without nav and the nonsense I would think other folks here have said no way but yet the power plug the main plug that does the business of the regular MFD between the two cars is exact if I'm not mistaken I have to take a picture and actually make certain but from walking between the two looks exactly the same anyway the car is running beautifully gas gauge display everything is spot-on I just have no MFD.