1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got new Tires....Michelin Energy Saver....

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mikey The Mailman, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Mikey The Mailman

Mikey The Mailman Delivering snail mail for you ;-)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ...to replace the poor mpg new tires I purchased earlier this week (Sumitomo HTR A/S P02).

They set all tires to 35psi. I didn't take freeway home to notice any mpg but I will in a day or 2. Should I go for 41PSI?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice. i'd go 42 front, 40 rear. all the best!(y)

Mikey The Mailman likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What are the dimensions? I think I might go higher with the fatter (lower-profile) tyres (perhaps 48F/46R) and lower with the skinnys (40F/38R) to help dig into the snow (I run 48/46 on my summers (Michelin Energy-Savers (195/55R16), and 40F/38R on the winter steelies shod with Blizzak WS-80s (185/55R15)) hope this helps - Wil

4. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    WilDavis, Mine is 175/65 R15 size

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd go with @bisco (I think I got that right?), or even slightly higher (to help keep the tyre's shape, and also help shed the snow from the treads), and I might go higher (46/44) when the warmer weather returns…

6. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No snow here in Sacramento, WilDavis :) Winters are mild temps sometimes it's cold during the day but mostly 50's 60's

7. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I go with side wall rated. When I still had the OEM Bridgestone I use to have 51/49. After one of them got cut on the sidewall I've changed the whole set to the previous version of Ecopia 422 (not Plus) and put 44 all around since.

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Anything more that 39-37 rattled my old bones too much, prefer driving a car rather than a buckboard.

Mo G likes this.
  9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree. Maybe it has to do with our age :)

I tried 42-40 for a while but the ride is just too stiff. 40-38 was a good compromise.

Besides I saw negligible change in mpg from 42-40 and 40-38.

I love my ES A/S tires! In my opinion they are still King of the Hill of LRR tires for the Prius.

Some report that these tires are no longer available. Not true, they are produced in limited quantities so you will probably have to order. I ordered mine from Sam's.

#9 jdcollins5, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I'm inclined to set all tires to the same pressure, just for expedience, an to avoid having to adjust pressures up/down come tire rotation time. Also, I'm getting a little sceptical about the improvement at extremely raised psi, not seeing that much difference. So I tend to raise pressures, but just a little above what the door decal recommends for the fronts. Say plus 3 pounds.

How about, just for a test: leave them as-is for the next tank, and then raise them to 38 for the next tank. Then maybe 42 for the tank after that if you want. Also, be cognisant of ride quality, it does tend to get harsher with higher pressures.

11. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm concerned...

Right now my tires are set 35PSI

Last night after getting Michelin Energy tires I drove on I-80 from Sacramento to Roseville (24 mile drive, somewhat uphill) I barely got 44 mpg compared to 53 to 57 (I know it's weird getting higher mpg going that way but that's what I got almost on every drive)

Coming back I barely broke 46mpg when it should be around 55ish.

With my stock tires that I had since purchasing the car till last Monday (68,000 miles) I always know/watch my mpg on the screen. I went to Big-O-tires and got 175/65R15 Sumitomo HTR A/S P02. It gave me poor mileage as it was not rated for low Resistance tires then yesterday I had to replace yet another tires, this time with Michelin Energy Saver tires. But Nooooooo. it's bad mpg! So what GIVES!?! I paid more than double to replace the first tires ($308 for 3 tires - buy 3, get one free...$69 per tires) and they took it out no charge, then paid $140 per tires on all 4!)

Do you guys think there's something else?

#11 Mikey The Mailman, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I run my tires at what Toyota recommends on the placard inside the door and the owners manual.
    I figure how wrong can the designers of the automobile be?

When I first got my Prius I experimented with higher pressures, but honestly felt it jeopardized handling (very bumpy) and given all the tied together complexity of the traction control and the regenerative brakes, it thought it was potentially dangerous. And I also did not see a huge increase in MPG, really arguably the same.

I'll go with the recommendation of the vehicle's maker, over what is a tire manufacturers MAX PSI, not meant as a recommendation for the specific vehicle the tires are being mounted on, but as a Max the tires can be used at.

I'm very attentive to keeping the tires at inflated to the recommendations even through seasonal change.

I know this opinion and advice is unpopular with those that imagine a great benefit from higher pressures. I just don't see it.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your next to last paragraph could maybe use a little editing, confusing. So you've just the done one tire change, from the original Sumitomo HTR A/S P02, to Michelin Energy Saver A/S?

Energy Savers are pretty much THE best tire for low rolling resistance, by all reports. Maybe just leave it for a tank or two, could be your drives are an anomaly?

jdcollins5 likes this.
  14. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry about that...I got distracted with something in the middle of typing up this morning.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you take the mpg hit as soon as you switched tyres? are you measuring by the tankful?i agree, (even though i have my tires at 42/40. but i wonder why toyota set the new eco model tyre pressure higher?

16. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco, my mpg took a big hit via live mpg screen. and I'm already at half a tank when it should be 2 bars above half around this time.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are so many variables, i like to measure by the tank, just to be sure.

it may be that the michelin's need breaking in, idk. but if your mpg's dropped before changing tyres, it is most certainly something else.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could they have screwed up the size?

Other'n that, kinda stumped. Again, I'd just not look too close, give it a tank.

19. viscositosis tribocessive

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mikey the Mailman, I am a big fan of Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tires. They have always given me 3 to 5 mpg improvement, over the years, several sets, different vehicles. My OEM tires are GYAFM (I especially purchased a new vehicle with these tires). 50 psi x 4. ScanGuage II. Mild hypermiling. Ravenol 0W16. I get low to mid 50s mpg, without really trying, consistantly. Sustina 0W20 would give you a nudge over TGMO also. I have obtained 67 mpg on a trip to San Diego. It would have been higher, but for a little AC useage. Hope this helps.

20. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco, my MPG changed immediately with new tires (I'm OCD on observing live MPG LOL!) I'm due to fill up tank this Wednesday before my GF takes my car to the bay area so we shall see how it goes. (And on a side note, my GF gets more MPG out of my car than I do...WITHOUT trying!!! She's somewhat little lead foot and doesn't know much about Hybrid!)

Mendel Leisk, I tripled checked all new tires, exact same size. I'll give a see with a new tank this upcoming Wednesday.

Visco, When I brought my brand new Prius C, it came with Goodyear Assurance fuel max. Too late for that I'm not in mood to go back for a third tire changing but I'll keep it mind for future tire purchases :)