1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got our New 2008 Prius Yesterday

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rico, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Rico

Rico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi I'm Rico. Old man, forever young. I've tried to be green all my adult life and getting a Prius is yet another element in place. I've learned a lot already by reading this website. So thanks. We just bought a new 2008 Barcelona Red Prius Package #2. A very nice red I might add. We sold our 1995 Volvo, glad we did as the maintenance on the Volvo was pretty high and always felt guilty driving a car with only 20 mpg. The gas mileage was 'peanuts' compared to the Prius and the emissions were a lot more. We are now getting at least twice as much mileage and using a lower grade gasoline as the Volvo needed premium grade. We purchased the 100 thousand mile warranty for the little red car which although expensive is going to be 'peace of mind' insurance as we will be taking lots of long distance trips.

Our first impressions are fantastic as the car feels tight and rides really well. It has a great steering radius I might add.
    We've improved the gas mileage in just one day from 31 mpg city to around 40 mpg city by referring to this website and the manual for tips.

The big news is I'm going to be taking a round trip cross country trip this June. From the Bay Area to NY and then back again, in the Prius. I'm a filmmaker and my son and I are going to make a film on our travels across America. We'll have 3 weeks to make it back from NY to San Francisco and plan stops in Washington DC,Chicago, Memphis and Utah. I will write about our adventures and the performance of the Prius here. We'll be doing a lot of camping out and hope to talk with lots of people about life in America these days. I'll be reading this website to learn more about the car!

Peace
    :cool:

2. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Rico. Welcome and congrats on your Prius purchase. Sounds like you are going to do the ultimate travel by land coast to coast. That sounds very exciting. I've always dreamed about doing the drive from the East Coast to the West coast.

Keep us posted on the upcoming trip. Oh yes, the more you drive that Prius...you'll see a significant increase on mpg. Break in that car properly and I'm sure the car will last for a very long time.

3. prius_in_texas

prius_in_texas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We just got our new Prius yesterday also. Seaside Pearl, Package #2. Love the room... how can a car with so much room get the best gas mileage of any car sold in the USA? (Of course, we upgraded from a Corolla!).

My wife is having some issues getting used to the different controls (no key, figuring out how to put the car in park, etc.). We'll get used to it. Can't say much for the dealer experience either, though... one reason I only buy a car every 10 years or so. When our 99 Corolla finally bites the dust, hopefully we can replace it with a PHEV!

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    New 2008 Prius!

Welcome to PriusChat, both Rico and prius_in_texas! You'll find a wealth of information here about the car's operation, driving it, modifying it, and so much more. Have fun driving!

5. Rico

Rico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks so much. I will look into breaking the car in on this website. If there are any tips you'd like to pass on of course I wouid like to hear them. Otherwise will keep you all posted on the cross country trip.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would love to see your "Across the America in Prius" documentary/film. :) A great idea.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tho do this you must first post a picture. Then we will start breaking it in for you.

Seriously, there is not much you have to do other than avoid sustained high-speed driving for the first 1000 miles. The nature of the hybrid system pretty much takes care of the rest.

Although not required by warranty or recommended in the owner's manual, and oil change at 1000-3000 miles may remove the initial wear-in particles. Probably less essential than in the past.

That's it. Drive.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on the new car. It's great that you are going on this adventure. There are some threads here about taking long trips (tips etc), look it to that sometime. Also, this means you have to get your oil changes, tires rotated during the trip also. :)

Welcome to PC and let us know how everything goes.

9. Rico

Rico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yo Texas. we've got the same Prius birthday dude. wishing you Safe travels!

10. Rico

Rico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My son is 10 years old and I'm going to make him the 'host' of the show. the trip will be told from the point of view of a little boy. One of the things about making a documentary is that sometimes you don't know what you might encounter but one of the 'themes' or one of the 'characters' could be- the car.

slightly off topic but if you are interested, my tv show that i am making for the web is called You Are Here. The first episode is about an 'outsider artist' here in Berkeley California. If you are curious take a look it runs 12 minutes:

1st Episode-You Are Here on Vimeo

11. Rico

Rico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks michgal and others for the welcome and tips. I really appreciate it. Safe travels to all!

12. TummyMan

TummyMan Tummy Man

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like the others said this idea is a good one, I can't wait to see the video. Keep up the good work.:D

Congrats on the new 08!

13. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rico! Suave!

Congrats!:hug: