1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got rid of my Prius 'bathroom fixtures'

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jim in NC, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well yesterday I picked up my new plastic Black shifter piece at the dealer. (I'm surprised they got it in so quickly!).

It makes such a drastic difference. I think it looks especially good with my all black interior with the new black leather! (I hope I don't make anyone jealous :D)

Like I said before, one the reasons I bought this Prius last week was because of the black steering wheel and console tray. The white is so repulsive to me that I almost bought a different car!

Toyota should really get their act together. I've now had salespeople and parts people at 2 dealerships tell me about what customers and staff have said about the white 'fine bone china'. Hardly anyone likes it, so they should get rid of it or accept lower sales.

Anyways .... Enjoy! :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those aren't appliqués over white. It's solid black, looks to be satin or matte? Are those stock parts from a level 2? Or?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  4. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They should just stop producing that ridiculous white in manufacturing ASAP. Ridiculous looking

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the white is something which the home market wanted - which is ½ of Prius sales, and where it was initially released.

6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some of us really like the white interior.

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TOYOTA likes them - they state "The white inserts in the console were a strong element in the interior concept from an early stage in the design development. Of course, special attention has been paid to practicality – they are highly scratch-resistant so will continue to look good."

Tideland Prius and krmcg like this.
  8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I finally visited the dealer and looked at a couple GenIV's last week. One was a Two, the other the basic Four. The Two had that black center console & no charging plate (looked great!) but also the white shifter plate and the partial steering wheel white accent on either side. That one looked a bit schizo with the mix.

Then I went out to the lot and sat in the Four with black leather interior. OMG, that white console just screamed out at me and looked soooo out of place. The steering wheel lower large white plate looked as bad. I was really really hoping that I wouldn't be as bothered by the white in person, as others have mentioned, but for me it was even worse than I had imagined. I can't think that the real black console from the Two would fit into the Four since it doesn't have the charging plate. Does it fit? Same dimensions overall, without the charging functionality?

I really hope these accessory cover plates get better over time or that Toyota USA wises up about what is being imported. The dealer said, after I rather calmly asked about the "white accents," that "...the majority, about 75%, really dislike the white interior pieces, so far. If they see the black console in one trim, then they hate the white even more". I think that about sums it up, from a guy trying to sell Prii for a living. He didn't gloss (pun) over the issue at all. He hated the white too.

One side note, perhaps two. The 8-way power seats have me sold almost alone. What a massive improvement in adjustability, ease, and comfort from my GenIII "leather" seats in my level 5. I also noted that the rear cargo floor was about an inch below the lower lip of the hatch when opened. That would have me believe that the Prime's deck is not 3" higher as reported, but 4" higher.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks good, Jim. Is that a plastic piece that just slips over the white panel? Does it seem sturdy and scratch resistant? Two-way tape holds it on? Now you need to cover the white on the steering wheel.

Merged, please use multi-quote.

Yes, stock parts. The Two and Two Eco come with factory installed black cup holder console and black shifter panel.

Merged, please use multi-quote.

Oddly enough, I don't even notice the white china when driving. Doesn't really bother me. It seems to be of good quality material, and it sparkles in the sunlight. (Just like the black pieces on the dash sparkle. I noticed that even the little toggle switches for fan speed / temp / and vent selection sparkle too.)

Does that black appliqué accessory match the black pieces in the dashboard? Does it sparkle?

Kevin, that's a nice looking retro license plate. How long did it take to arrive? I'm at week 6, and still no stock plates. We've let so many prisoners out of jail, there's not enough to make license plates anymore! ;)

#9 Coast Cruiser, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2016
    Mendel Leisk and krmcg like this.
  10. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ordered the plate in early January, even before I bought the car. Received them early April - so 3 months. I had received the standard plates directly from Carson Toyota in about 5 weeks? or so, but never bothered to install them.

11. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Checked with my dealer today about the regular plates. The lady said: 90 Days! (Mailed to the house. No pick-up at dealer.)

12. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The white reminds me of a dental hygienist's work station.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange situation in the states. Up here you don't get off the lot without plates. Insurance agent gets called by dealership, and they typically have a handful of plates, for you to pick.

14. cekinla

cekinla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Contacted my local dealer for the black shifter applique and was shocked to learn it's $45 plus tax for a piece of plastic that costs MAYBE 50 cents to produce! Does anyone have a link to a better price?!?!

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's cali, we need plates to drive as well. dealers stock them, and just run the insurance, etc.
    if you do it yourself, dmv, triple a, maybe others, pretty easy.
    when i lived in new hamster, circa 1980, everything was at the local town hall, pretty sweet.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean New Hampshire?
    You have been spell corrected!

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's my term of endearment.:)

kithmo, WilDavis and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    running around in circles? :D

bisco likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good. Did you Plasti-Dip the steering wheel?

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When they put hamster wheels in a forest and rig up cameras, they see all sorts of little animals using 'em. :)

RCO, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.