1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got Simoniz, passed on the film

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Namaste, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Namaste

Namaste Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have my fingers crossed as I ask this question. I opted for Simoniz. I didn't like the sound of the risks inherent with the film application and decided against it. May I be confident my BP paint is at least adequately protected?

2. mrnoyb

mrnoyb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also researched the paint protection film products but opted not to apply them. I elected to follow a good wash and wax routine. I've already used the factory touch up paint and it works very well.

3. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer applied paint protection, fabric protection, and rust protection are profit protectors and, IMO, provide very little value.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, even if it were already done, when I buy a car I tell the dealer either the add-ons are off the table or I'm gone. They usually agree.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $334 for the "fabric protection package", or an $18 spray can of Scotchguard and an hour of my time? Hmm, what to do, what to do...

6. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could anyone provide recommendations on waxing. Should we wax, what type of wax, how often, etc... Anything to watch out for?

7. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What risks? I doubt there are any if you have it done by a reputable business with an experienced installer. Washing and waxing can scratch and swirl your clearcoat if you aren't careful. The main downside of a professionally installed film seems to be cost and possibly appearance if you use a lower quality film.

Also, it depends what you are trying to protect against. A quality wax will help with envrionmental damage, but a good film can also protect against scratches and chips.

I've never tried film before my latest car and I've always had to touch-up minor chips and scratches on the hood with previous cars. They never look the same, at least not with my touch-up skill. Verdict is out on the film. Looks great now, but who knows how it will look in a few years.

Like waxes and sealants, film quality varies in appearance, durability, etc.

If your car is outside daily or overnight, even the best waxes seem to wear off after a few months in my experience. What wax to use is mostly personal preference and that's about all you'll find on the internet. Consumer Reports just had a review, though. Whether you agree with them or not, presumably their durability tests where they wax sections of a hood and monitor it over time seem more likely to be accurate than most other reviews based on no testing at all. They tend to like NuFinish. I've never tried it, so can't really say anything about it.

I just tried Turtle Wax Ice synthetic paste. Supposed to have no abrasive cleaners in it (so ideal for new cars) and also not supposed to stain or leave residue on black trim/plastic. That much seems true. Not sure how long it will last compared to anything else, though.

8. mrnoyb

mrnoyb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No question, wash and wax frequently. I'll wash my Blizzard Pearl every two weeks and wax it every three to four months.

I start by hand washing it with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash applied with a microfiber mit. I dry it using a blade to remove the majority of the rinse water and finish with a microfiber drying towel.

I apply Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax by hand. I hand buff using a micro fiber polishing cloth.