1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the call in TX. Buy or wait - advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by enerjazz, Jul 22, 2004.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been on a list in TX since early March. I moved up to the #1 list spot last month. I requested a Seaside #6.

Got the call today - a Seaside #3 is coming on the next boat in early Aug. I have 3 things keeping me from jumping on it right away.

#1 - Gulf States Toyota adds a $900+ dealer port package of a few useful items, but mostly markup. The dealer says he can't get them to exclude it. I'll have to go to New Mexico to get one without the junk. That means another wait, but I'm tempted to do it out of principle. The dealer is selling the car at MSRP.

#2 - I wanted a #6 with SS/SE. It seems that most of the cars are now #9, #7, or #3 so I might just have to settle for a fob. Right now I open my car with a key, so even a fob is an upgrade.

#3 - I'll be on the end of the 2004 model year. Usually you get a discount at year end, but not with the Prius. What, if any neat (if minor) 2005 changes await? I know a cost increase could be there too.

Should I get it, sit on top of the list and wait for a #6 and/or a 2005, or should I get on a list in New Mexico? My apologies to those of you on the bottom of the long list who wish you were in my shoes.

Paul

2. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I picked up my nuber 7 silver a couple of days ago. I leared from the dealer(they are the oldest Toyota Dealer in the US) that the 2005 models will not be available in the base packages .ie no more 1-6, only something like #7 or #9. And, the HID lights really are great. Thay light up the road so well. Driving at night becomes a pleasure, no strain on your eyes. I had been dubious about them too.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

It's a tough question; and I think it depends mostly on how long you're willing to wait.

Me, I want the SE/SS, and I'd wait for it. Also, I am encouraged by the allocation numbers going up of late. (I've also been on the waiting list since March.)

If I had to guess, I'd guess that I'll have a new Prius by the end of October (at the latest); and that's soon enough for me.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are some big differences between the #3 and #7. Too big for me. If I was offered a #3 today and had to wait until next year (when I should get mine since I JUST got on the list) I would wait. I plan on having my Prius for a LONG time. A few months wait for me would be worth it. Everytime I got in with the key and stuck the fob in the dash I would think about the one it should have been. I don't want to think of such a big purchase as a should have been. I want to be 100% happy with what I got. Believe me I WANT MINE TODAY!!!!!!!! I sometimes feel like I'm going to explode having to wait when I hear how much fun everyone is having with theirs. So don't. I think you will be happy you did. And since you are #1 you will have the next first choice. So it won't be THAT long.

Alpha

5. mshappe

mshappe New Member

Am I the only wannabe Priusite in the world who honestly doesn't give a damn about SS/SE? :D

6. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

I'm in New Mexico .. Long waiting lists, at least in Santa Fe and Albuquerque (Albuquerque's American Toyota told me it's now 18 months).

After more than 3 months after ordering I was #9 on the list when I got the call. Although I had ordered a Tidelands pkg. 9. They had a salsa pkg. 7 that the 8 people before me had rejected. It met my minimum requirements though.

So the question became, how long would I have to wait until my exact package became available. I took the red pkg. 7.

My minimum was the package 7 because it had both the side/head airbags and the Vehicle Stability Control. Need for a high level of safety is one of my quirks and both side/head airbags (also on the pkg. 3) and VSC (recently written up as the best safety feature to come along since seatbelts) are important to me.

The smart key is nice, but I could live without it. The high intensity headlights are great, but I could live without them too.

So from my perspective, I'd ask:

. How long before the next Seaside Blue comes along that has the package that satisfies me.

. Can I live without the VSC (did so for the first 48 years of my driving life).

. How important is price (the higher level packages cost more).

. Am I willing to get on another dealer's waiting list (those lists are getting longer and longer).

. Do I wait for the 2005 (most 2nd year cars just fix flaws discovered in the first year car - I haven't exerienced any on my 2004 Prius - 8,000 miles).

. The Smart Start is nice but there's still the lock, unlock, and panic buttons on the lesser fob. And I don't think I'd have a problem with taking it out of my pocket and inserting it in that slot on the dash.

. The HID headlights are good (or will be until have to spend a couple hundred dollars to replace one), but modern halogen headlights are pretty good too (and a hell of a lot cheaper to replace).

. Haven't used my optional fog lamps yet but I've never found those to be terribly important anyway - They do add to the 'cool' factor though.

Oh, one other point, on following the postings here, it seems that Texas has a pretty meager allocation from the Prius regional site.

7. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    SE/SE is alright. After having had my #7 for a couple of days and using it, I think it's nice to have but, I could easily do without it at the moment. It is slowly becoming habit forming and I am sure in a few months I'll think it's vital. It really isn't that difficult to press a button on the fob to open the doors and to insert it to start and, since we are used to it, it helps reduce the chances of forgetting the key or losing it somewhere. With the SE/SS sometime you could put the key somewhere in the car, it could be in your pocket, purse... anywhere and, sometimes, you may forget it since youn won't have the habit of taking it out of the car when you turn it off. I know tyhe car won't lock if the key is left inside. On the other hand, once you get used to keeping the key in your bag, just opening the doors and starting it and then later pressing a button on the outside of the door to lock and walking away, you might get hooked.

8. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Keep the Advice Coming

Thanks for the posts. It's really helpful to hear other opinions instead of just debating myself.

Side airbags are a definite feature I want (I passed on a white #4 with SS/SE but no side airbags).

A #7 seems more than I need. Dallas doesn't get enough snow or ice to make VSC that alluring to me. While the HID lights might help my 43 year old eyes I don't relish the high cost of replacement bulbs or the blinding light they often cast into the eyes of others.

The number #3 is sounding better and better. However, I've always been very patient and waited for exactly what I want. I keep my cars for an average of about 10 years, so I like to get it right.

I think I'll put on the full press to try and get the dealer to stop Gulf States from putting that port package on the vehicle or at least cut the price of that bloated package.

Keep the advice coming - it's very helpful.

Paul

9. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The SS/SE system is convenient and distinguishes the Prius from most other cars. My wife likes it because she can get in and out of the car without opening her bag.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got a #7 because I absolutely needed VSC. I did not want HID headlights or SS/SE, but could not get VSC without them.

SS/SE turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread because of our bitterly-cold winters: I no longer need to take my gloves off to get in or out of the car. But if you don't need VSC then you don't really need SS/SE. An extra 6-months wait is six months without the car. So if you really wanted a #6, I'd recommend settling for a #3.

On the other hand, I would refuse the $900 dealer-profit package. And I'd wonder if it's true that all gulf-states dealers have to accept that from their Regional office, or if this is just a sleaze-ball dealer who's lying to you.

Finally, waiting for 2005 is a total crap-shoot. Nobody really knows anything about 2005. There could be improvements, or it could be identical. There could be fewer options packages, or more. There could be a price rise, or not. The only things that are really unlikely are major changes or a drop in price.

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

Hmm, here's my feeling on it -

Not having SS/SE would really suck for me, especially being used to it for 5 months now. However, you'll probably not notice not having it, since you didn't have it on your previous car. It's definately one of those features that, once you have, you won't want to do without. However, if you do decide to go with the package 3, I don't think you'll be so disappointed and regret your decision that you'd want to trade the car in - regardless of package, this is an amazing car.

That consideration taken, find out how long until the next shipment comes in, and if you'd get first pick from that as well - It could be they're getting a new car in less than a week or two, which isn't such a bad wait. Perhaps in that time you can also change their mind about the $900.

Best of luck whatever you do!

-m.

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. It's just another gimmick to get screwed up to me, and it seems as if the system does suffer from the occasional brain fart judging from the handful of complaints posted here. That said, I wouldn't refuse the car if it had it.

13. mshappe

mshappe New Member

That's exactly where I'm at, as well. At this point, I have exactly one must-have feature -- the full airbag package. And even that I have to admit is more a gut-feeling of 'more is better' than anything I can prove I need, since no car I've owned to date has had anything more than the front 'bags.

So, if my dealer calls me up and says she has a #3, I'll take it; if she says she has a #9...I'll take it. As long as it isn't Tideland Pearl (yuk!), I'll at least consider it :)

14. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm Taking It

Thanks for the inputs.

I've decided to take the car. I'm going to do everything I can to halt the port package, but I'm ready to go either way. Almost every dealer in Texas adds them. We should organize a class action suit against Gulf States Toyota and the dealers for forcing those on the customers.

I decided that SS/SE was not critical. I'll take that money and upgrade the car stereo - I'll get more long term enjoyment from that.

The 2005 model is a big unknown. Though I was tempted to wait, a friend at work wants to buy my existing car for his daughter to take to college next month. An excellent sale in hand was the final trigger for me to say "the time is now."

Paul

15. P-Car-Go

P-Car-Go New Member

Living in Texas, we would be receptive to some sort of class-action lawsuit against GST for adding the $900 package to the cars. Where are you located? We're in Houston, TX and ordered Seaside #2 on 11-21-03. We still don't have it.

16. P-Car-Go

P-Car-Go New Member

What is included in the $900+ dealer port package?

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mshappe - I think you're right about the full airbag package. 999 out of 1000 you'll never use it. But that one out of a thousand is enough of a reason to pay for it. safety first! (Okay, I don't know the actual statistics.)

Enerjazz, you might not even need to upgrade the stereo. I have the base model stereo that comes with the #7, and it is fantastic!

18. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ya what is the base stereo in a #7? I drove a #9 and it had the 6 disk changer and a tape deck. Does the #7 one come with both??
    I love books on tape and want a tape and a cd would be nice too.

Alpha

19. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #7 doesn't have a 6-disc changer.

Check here for the list of options: Prius Options

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The stereo in the #7 is an extremely high-quality CD player (one CD at a time - no changer) with AM/FM. It does not have the cassette deck. I gather that you can get spoken books on CD, but if you need cassette, the base model stereo does not have it. Sound quality is first-rate, though. I'd say you'd have to be a hard-core audiophile to want anything better. Me, I just want something to listen to.