1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the call whilst reading PriusChat!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by onerpm, Dec 16, 2004.

1. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :computer:
    well, what are the chances of that! just 5 minutes ago I was browsing the 'posts since last visit;' the phone rings, and I'm told my silver #6 has arrived (waiting since late 1/04, paying $500 under MSRP, also have $700 Toyota certificate). so, on saturday, my '04 driftwood #0 gets traded in for $20k...exactly msrp when it was purchased in late 2003! 14,000 free miles!

finally got my desired grey interior, side airbags, smartkey, and vsc. grudgingly paying for (at wife's behest) nav, "upgraded" stereo. sort of happy to be paying for homelink mirror and bluetooth.

rob

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Congratulations!

MSRP = $26,480 less $500 = $25,980
    less certificate = $25,280
    less trade-in = $5,280
    plus sales tax on $5,280 (if applicable) = $5,545 - $5,750
    less $2,000 tax deduction for 2004 = +/- $5,000

Soooooo, circa $5k for a new, loaded MY, and you got to drive the trade-in 14k miles? Where do I sign up!
    :lol:

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    yeah! and you pretty much hit the numbers, except for +186 for the mats. I made a $500 deposit back in January, which I'd pretty much forgotten about. also, I don't think the 700 certificate comes off the price before calc. of sales tax...(will find out on Sat.)...I believe the cert. is just like cash toward the deal. the trade in does come off first, of course.

my wife just got her college degree (tonight!) and a new job (last month!), so we're also going to finance the 5k or so for a couple of months thru Toyota, just to get the $400 college grad. rebate. Might as well work all of the angles.

you'd think I wouldn't care too much, already owning a Prius, but my heart sure jumped when I got the call!

thanks
    rob

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's great you got the call. I actually got my car because of PriusChat. A few of us were on the chat one night, and Dianne said something like, "If Jeff will just take a BC it will put us all out of our misery." (I wasn't planning on taking the most expensive package.) Needless to say, I said yes. I couldn't be more happy with my decision. I love the smart-start, and the navigation has kept us from getting lost a number of times.

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was wrong about the above, at least the way my dealer did the transaction. They took the $700 certificate off of my cash price, along with my trade-in allowance, before computing the sales tax. So, I saved $45.50 in taxes.

I borrowed the entire $5274 I owed them from Toyota Financial, to get the College Grad Program. That gave me the $400 Grad rebate, which the dealership applied on the spot toward the car (in other words, I would have owed them $5674 if I was paying cash instead). They gave me 3.75% APR, which would cost me $320 in finance charges over the 36 months of the deal if I don't pay it off early.

I mentioned to my saleswoman that I planned to pay the loan off in just a few months. She said if I'm close to 9 months of payments, wait until after 9 payments had been made. That would qualify me as an "Encore" customer to TFS, which means that if I borrowed against another Toyota in the future, I'd get .25% off of the APR, even on a deal like factory 1.9% financing.

One thing I noted about this 2005, compared to the 2004 I traded in, is that I used to keep my 2004 at 68-69 degrees and the heat would catch up pretty quickly, with the fan speed decreasing before too long. With this car set at 68, the fan is running at medium or medium high constantly; I had to put it as low as it will go, 65, to get the fan speed to go to low.