1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the dreaded check hybrid system warning need to replace battery pack is my car safe to drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bootsncats24, Jun 4, 2018.

1. bootsncats24

bootsncats24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the check hybrid system warning light at 185k took the car to an independent shop to get looked at and was told that I had to replace the battery pack due my battery not being able to hold a charge as long as it’s used to. I got quote for 1500 to get a refurbished battery installed by the same shop with a one year warranty or a 6 month warranty for 1100 installed. I need a couple months to save up and was wondering if my car is safe to drive until then? MPG have been the same and the car drives fine. I moved to Arizona recently and I have to go to Cali for a traffic ticket and was wondering would it be safe for me to take my car or should I look into renting one?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it is really the battery, no one can answer that. it may be a scam though, and you should have the trouble codes read. did the red triangle come on?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agree with post #2. When codes are taken, request to get the actual codes yourself from them so you'll know what really needs attention.

4. bootsncats24

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the help guys and red triangle? I didn’t realize there was a red triangle warning light. I’ve only gotten the check hybrid system warning light along with an orange triangle and a check engine light. The ready light stays on the entire time and I can drive the car at highway speeds take off is a little slower that’s about it. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Phoenix area? Thanks in advance for the help.

5. bootsncats24

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’ve also never cleaned out the hybrid fan I didn’t realize it was something that needed to be done. Thinking about cleaning that this weekend to see if it helps.

6. Lakshan

Lakshan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    HI I also go the same problem ? were you able to fix the above issue? can you please let me know how did you fix?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post #2.

Grit likes this.