1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the "Feel" of the HV/ICE Line!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by a priori, Jun 11, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have "complained" since day one with my 2010 that the car is too quiet and the HSD too smooth for me to get a "feel" for the system. Perhaps my memory is a bit off, but it seems to me that I didn't have to struggle very hard to get the feel for the Gen2 HSD. What I mean is, I could feel the ICE turning on or off, and I could feel when these things were going to happen. I think the feedback was more aural and, for lack of a better word, "vibrational."

With the 2010, though, the car was much quieter, and I felt more disconnected from the HSD. I just couldn't tell when the ICE was on -- but for the instruments. Part of it, of course, was that the HSD didn't start turning the ICE over once I surpassed 41mph -- I had to get above 45!

Ever since DaveinOlyWa started his great Hybrid System Indicator and Stealth thread, I've been trying to get a better lock on where I could predict or even feel things such as ICE turnover or ICE off. We have been discussing not just the meaning, but also the interpretation of the Hybrid System Indicator (HSI) on the Multi-Information Display. Dave is attempting to measure whether a concentrated effort on keeping the indicator near the center line on the HSI would increase his fuel economy.

I started taking greater note of that center line and using it to measure ICE turn over. As predicted, at lower speeds (45 and below) and without wild acceleration, the ICE remains off (in a "warm" ICE condition) until the center line is crossed.

Here is where I finally found some FEEL in the 2010!

Clearly, the Toyota engineers wanted to meet customer expectations. They have done so in one way, and that is to make it very easy to drop your way into "Stealth" mode. Meaning: Once you have accelerated to a certain speed, even above 25mph, you can run on the battery only simply by releasing pressure on the accelerator and feathering back up, only slightly. You hardly need to try to accomplish this.

Beyond that, the Toyota folks appear to have put a "feel" point in there. Maybe it is just me, but I can "feel" the barrier that exists at the center line in the HSI. If you have a slow accleration going while in Stealth (or in EV below 25), you'll actually feel the resistance increase as you "hit" the center line on the HSI. In order to engage the ICE, you need to increase the pressure on the accelerator. I've tried this many times over, now, and it is a consistent resistance right at that point.

Has anyone else felt this? Sure, it could be just me, but I'm fairly certain of what I "felt" and would like to hear from others about this "finding."

1 person likes this.
  2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Any time your MPG is pegged at 100mpg, you're pretty sure to be in Stealth. I can tell when my ICE is loping along at low RPM - it's quiet, but not silent.

3. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pretty certain, but not assured. I've seen the MPG indicator (even this morning) dropping down one or two blips and going back up, all without any other indication of a change, and all at a fairly constant speed.

In any event, I was more interested in finding out whether you'd "felt" the resistance at the HSI center line. Do you feel that at all? Does my question make any sense to you?

4. B-Dog

B-Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I also have noticed the Resistance at the HSI center line. It's very subtle but there if I'm using very little pressure on the gas pedal.

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like it, Ken!

I'm still looking for a place to put it, as well as an appropriate color selection!

7. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Me too.

8. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think there is feedback in the accelerator pedal. Think about it a "stick shaker" for the accelerator pedal. now that would be a cool mod:cool:

9. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great concept, driver!

It pretty much is a stall warning, I suppose.

10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've forgotten what it's called, but you can actually train yourself through repeated practice to "feel" something that has no "feel". For example a good target rifle's trigger has no creep, that is it does not move until it releases all at once. The force required to "break" the trigger is very repeatable though. If you shoot it enough, you know the instant just before the trigger breaks, you can swear you can "feel" it, but in reality you have trained yourself to the exact amount of pressure your finger exerts to break the trigger.
    I assume you have trained yourself to the point that you can ride the edge of the center line of the HSI without going over it just by feel, but I don't think there is any feed back through the pedal that is helping you do that.
    I'm sure your actually doing it, just think the car isn't helping you is all.
    Just like i can swear that a short time after I start a glide something releases, feels like an automatic tranny does when it shifts into neutral, but it's probably all in my head.

11. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know what you are referencing, and I understand it.

It seems a bit more than that, though, because I noticed it very early on. If you'll notice, I started this thread on June 11. There weren't many people driving the 2010 that early. I certainly had very few miles on my car by then, and I still was experimenting with everything. I had no reason to believe or expect a "barrier" or "boundary" point, but it seemed to be there when I was driving through the "change" area.

Yes, it may be exactly as you say, but take a look at it your self and see if you have the same feel.

12. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    At what speed was that?

13. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would like to add that in Europe and other l/100 km markets, the 'is the ICE on?' question is a bit easier to answer since we will see 2 or 3 bars on the consumption gauge if it is on, 0 if it is off.

14. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is a bit hard for me to tell just by re-reading my post. And the post is three months old, so I can't really remember. Chances are it was at 44mph or lower.

15. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand what you mean. What I have noticed is the throttle seems to be de-sensitized around the middle of the display or as others have posted "sticky".
    Anne, on the US version of the car, it's entirely likely that our engines can be running, but the fuel consumption be higher than 99 MPG, so the display won't tell you if the ICE is consuming fuel or not. Of course there may be a valid argument of it's it's getting 100 MPG or more who cares if it consuming fuel or not.
    On edit of course it's "sticky" now that I give it a little thought. There has to be two "numbers" for the ICE to be turned on and off, if it were one than you could get a point to where it would be cycling on and off, and that wouldn't be good would it.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I "feel" the resistance at the mid line also. I believe it is more prevalent in the ECO mode (ECO button on). I can also feel the MG spinning up the ICE and ready to ignite as noted in other posts.

One odd thing I have noticed too is I am able to go beyond the mid line and still not have the ICE ignite (100 mpg (full up) noted on the MPG meter anyway). Usually that only happens at the end of my commute (18 miles) and going slightly downhill at about 50-52mph. Anyone notice that?

Peter

17. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the ICE on and off point is different like a thermostat. For example if the set point is 78, then the compressor turns on at 79 and off at 77 or something similar.
    I believe the on point of the ICE is variable as to SOC of the battery and possibly load of the car. By load I mean, going down hill with only a little throttle the car is accelerating nicely, maybe it will stay in stealth a little longer than going up hill and a lot of throttle and little or no acceleration?
    I also believe that at any speed above 46 MPH? the ICE is running, period. Maybe not using enough fuel to show up in the consumption meter, but running just the same.
    Now all of this is pure conjecture on my part and what I could pull from others posts, so I may be wrong

Peter, I believe what your describing would be Warp Stealth on a Gen II, but unless I'm mistaken, there is no Warp Stealth on a Gen III

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the European ECO Mode and the NA ECO modes are tuned differently so Anne will experience something different from the rest of us. She needs to compare it to the other European members here.

19. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your serious about determining the HSI, get some instruments. Ken's indicator is good and the ScanGage II is also good. You'll see that the engine is always on to the right of center and can be to the left of center. The HSI is not in any way linear or consistant and will tell you what Toyota thinks will be helpful to the general population.

Wayne

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I rely mostly on the scan gauge, it gives me a tachometer which tells me with absolute certainty if the engine is running and how fast. TPS indicates the exact throttle position. I also like being able to tell what the coolant temperature is. For the fourth displayed parameter I usually select IGN.

If you haven't used one I suggest giving it a try, it's the best $160 I've spent on the car yet. Takes a lot of the guess work out of driving. It mounts very nicely on top of the steering column with velcro and the cable tucks out of the way with no problem.