1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got tired of 24 MPG in my Tacoma

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ozyran, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

So, I replaced it with a 2003 Kawasaki KLR250! Not the biggest bike in the world, and not the fastest, but hey, it gets great fuel economy! Unless you're gonna compare it to a Zap Xebra :rolleyes:

Some riders have reported pretty high numbers, upwards of 60 mpg if it's driven in a civilized manner. I'll have some updates down the road once I get some more experience with her. She's my first bike and I still have to get my endorsement. However, that will be at the end of July, and in the mean time, I've got time to get familiar with motorcycling laws here in CT.

She sports a 250cc DOHC single-cylinder engine. I was a little surprised when I found out it was a single, but I'm glad it is. Less cylinders = less fuel consumption (that is, so long as I'm not out trying to play Speed Racer. Not on this bike!)

Of course, if I find a nice trail somewhere I can always take her off the highway and go exploring heh heh heh :D Not that I'd do anything illegal.

(I didn't have any safety gear on because honestly, I wasn't going anywhere. I just wanted to take a pic of her for my mom and a friend who lives in Fla.)

Attached Files:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be sure you do get safety gear and use it.

The network tech I work with at school is a trained paramedic and ex navy corpsman.

He stopped to help a motorcyclist who had an accident on the freeway a few weeks ago.

The guy was heading south and my tech was heading north and saw the whole thing. The guy's tire blew and he flipped end over end over the center divider. Luckily he was wearing his helmet (which was pretty much destroye but it did it's job), his jacket and his gloves. But he was NOT wearing his leather pants. The skin and muscle was torn of the length of his leg down to the bone. My tech treated him for shock and assured him every time he asked that he wouldn't lose his leg....today. He called the hospital that night and the guy was still alive and still had his leg. He called him the next day and he was still alive and still had his leg. A week later he was still alive...and still had his leg.

That's because my tech was immediately on the scene and knew what to do, the police were there fast and the ambulance was there fast.

So learn what you need to know, take it seriously, drive safely and wear all of your safety gear. The best fashion statement is to simply be alive.

3. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Wow. Was this guy wearing shorts?

I've seen what happens when you pass on the riding gear. A buddy of mine was riding his ZX12 and locked up the front brake...needless to say, he went down. Hard. His helmet kept his melon intact, but he had a nasty case of road rash all over his body. It took about two weeks before he started showing any signs of healing.

Like I said, I was only getting a picture for my mom. I've got a helmet on the way and I won't ride in public until I've received my endorsement from the DMV.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be safe, mate. My biz partner has a KLR650. He really likes it and wears all of his kit when he goes out on it. Just don't get complacent. Were/are you on 688s?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 30 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]470859[/snapback]</div>
    No. We was wearing regular long legged denim blue jeans. Not much protection when you're going freeway speeds. He flipped end over end over the concrete center divide and then slid to a stop.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 30 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]470859[/snapback]</div>
    Wear the helmet. You can always buy another helmet but you can't buy another head. This guy will be buying another helmet.

6. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My husband keeps mentioning a bike, he used to ride in high school. I tell him NO WAY - he's got responsibilities now, he didn't in high school. So he's keeping his Tacoma!

We had a bad motorcycle accident in front of the school where I teach. Biker coming north 45mph, no helmet. A teacher was turning left into the parking lot and he rode right into her. Killed instantly - brains were all over the road, and it was VERY upsetting to everyone. It happened at lunchtime, so students were all over the campus and some could see what had happened. The worst is that his sister was a student at the school and heard rumors about the accident, then found out it was her brother.

He had been working on his bike and just wanted to take a spin around the block to see if he had fixed it yet. He always wore his helmet - but this time, for some reason didn't.

7. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Wow, I guess I should title this one the Motorcycle Safety Thread!

That would be a good thing, too; especially since we're right in the middle of riding season. I've seen some pictures of what happens when you only wear denim - it's not nice to look at. Come to think of it, my friend on the ZX12 had denim jeans on - a good thing, since it kept his legs from taking any major damage!

I'm a firm believer in ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time. After all the pictures I've seen and experiences I've has with friends, I can't afford not to.

pyccku - your post confirms the one statistic I've heard the most about accidents - most of them happen only a short distance from home. I can definitely understand and appreciate your concern for your husband's safety.

tripp - I used to serve aboard the USS Alexandria. I'm on shore duty now and awaiting return to sea duty either on another sub, or as a commissioned officer on an aircraft carrier (God willing!). It's actually a pic of the Virginia-class submarine. I figure a.) they're the future of the force and b.) I go back to sea on a sub, I'm going to go for the one that has the latest technology. BTW, does your buddy do any work out there in the field?

Thanks for all of your concerns! I really feel like everyone cares about me (I get all teary eyed thinking about it ;)) Just to reassure you all, I finally ordered my leather riding gear and it will all be here in the next week or two. And, I still have yet to get my endorsement. Until then, I'm not going anywhere on the bike - it will just sit and look pretty in the garage.

True. Same goes for the jacket and chaps - it's much easier to order new leathers than it is to have a skin graft! I imagine the bill for the skin grafts is pretty amazing compared to the cost of a new jacket and chaps.