1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got XPEL Ultimate from head to toe... but how to care for it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kevin Le, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Kevin Le

Kevin Le Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, I went and got XPEL Ultimate PFF on my Black 2013 Prius Three. Lets not discuss how insane it is to do that, I drive in Southern California where pickup trucks/dump trucks/trucks in general carry sand/rocks and I want to make that black paint last for a long time.

So now that I have this on my Prius, how do I really take care of it? I read the stuff from Chemical Guys is good, but what should I be using? How should I be washing the car? Should I be using something to soften the water? Waterless kits? What kind of sealant do I use? Should I apply wax after the sealant? On subsequent washes, should I be washing to remove the previous layer of wax and sealant and reapplying them after?

Help! :)

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RTFM ;)

XPEL ULTIMATE Protection Film: Care Instructions

To keep your film looking great, follow a few simple guidelines:

• Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car.
    • Remove insect or other stains as soon as possible with bug and tar remover.
    • Stubborn stains can be removed with 99% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner. Take care to keep these chemicals off the vehicle’s paint.
    • Seal with XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant at least once every 3 months to preserve high gloss
    • Light scratches in the film will self-heal in 20-30 minutes at room temperature. In colder conditions, or to accelerate the process, pour warm water (120°F) over the affected area.

Mainly?
    I'd try to not worry about it very much.
    Life's too short.
    Statistically, black cars get whammed by doors and shopping buggys 2.3 times more than more sensible colors.
    Oh yeah.
    Please don't be one of those idiots that try to ameliorate door dings by taking up two parking spots. :)

Good Luck! ;)

3. Kevin Le

Kevin Le Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I was really asking for community advice from others that have XPEL. Not a copy paste from XPEL's website. Life is short and I want to enjoy my short existence on this planet with my Prius. Statistically, 80 percent of statistics are made up so how does your statistic measure up? Lastly I would rather park further away than consume two spots.

What kind of soap is recommended?
    What kind of sealant should I be using?
    What kind of wax should I be using?

Should I be stripping off the sealant and wax with every wash? Or should i be washing gently?

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a 2013.
    ...Ask me again in a little over three decades (and three black vehicles) and we'll compare notes. :D

Good strategy!
    When you get to be an old fart like me the extra walking will have served you well.

Good Luck!