1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gotta love some people...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by OceanEyes, Dec 12, 2012.

1. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I really hate online dating. First of all the TV commercials promote "happily ever after" without the reality of real life. I wish they would show the real **** that happens in life... the drunk spouse who did everything short of getting arrested, the debate over leaving the seat up or down (I had sons - I learned to make sure I looked beforehand), the heated discussions over cleaning the house, etc....

A friend told me to try one site as she had "luck" with it. No luck so far as I have a pretty direct profile - after 25 years of marriage it is safe to say I said what I like and what I won't put up with. My profile, my rules, take it or leave it.;)

Had someone contact me, start the questions of "getting to know you", found out he recently bought a car and I congratulated him on his new car purchase, (to protect the innocent, I will say it was not a hybrid and was American made) and he asked me the fateful question:

"What kind of car did you buy?"

My answer resulted in the "deal breaker!"

(Usually it is the fact I own horses that scare them away - after all, as a recent share on my FB wall was a sign that said something to the effect of "I ride horses which means I have pitchforks, can haul and stack haybales and can scream at a half-ton animal after being kicked." I might add, "after I was tossed and broke my back in two spots (bad but not as bad as it could have been) I got back on the horse because I couldn't let her win." I think the ER doc was ready to prescribe some behavioral meds to me when he heard I actually got back on.)

This is the first time a Prius has protected me from a disaster in the making.

After my "what I purchased post" (and it was one word, without the selling points or any description - just mentioned the name of the type of car), I got an emotional, almost ranting email back about how he "was intimidated by my profile, I am way too active for him, he likes traveling and relaxing, works a lot of hours, and has a new home and car but his ex left him financially stretched and it took a long time to get back to a real life." Wait, what? Where did this come from?!:confused:
    (This selection of an emotional rant brought to you by someone who really purchased a Prius. And likes it. :D)

Had he been in the driveway I am sure he would have left skidmarks as he ranted and retreated. BTW, I never met him in person. Thank Gawd!

That being said, I am going to try to improve my MPGs this morning on my way to work, get a huge cup of coffee the way I like it and figure out where I am running this evening. I have better things to worry about.

Gotta love some people - my attitude is if you can't take the heat, don't play near the fire.:cool:

Enjoy your day... I know I am going to enjoy mine....

ewxlt66 and ftl like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Newspaper lady got in touch as she heard my wife and I met on the internet. She expected that we met on a dating site, so we disappointed her. I whipped up a FaceBook Note to begin organizing my data. Log In | Facebook (And yes, the last comment is from my ex-wife)

One of the few points we had in common was the belief that our respective 1989 Toyota Corollas was our best car ever.

I have no idea how to find (or accept) honesty in a dating site, we were not looking for love.

OceanEyes and ewxlt66 like this.
  3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you should add 'drives a Prius' to your online dating profile. That way, you'll weed out more of the stupid jerks.

JMD, OceanEyes and Silver bullit like this.
  4. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was surprised how fast he bolted! LOL! That's quite fine by me!

5. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love it! I am enjoying a second large poison coffee in my break room and still laughing to myself.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ah yes, online dating:

OceanEyes likes this.
  7. ElectronFlux

ElectronFlux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too funny!

OceanEyes likes this.
  8. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I met my frau in Yahoo... it can happen... I wasn't looking to hook up with her, or anyone else for that matter during that time, but our similar interests and the things we didn't like that were the same for the both of us, made her want to meet me for coffee... a few weeks later, we really hit it off, and I am happy that I was able to meet and marry the woman that I wish I had met first.

Acceptance not compromise.

If they can't accept you for whom you are, don't give in to being what someone else wants to make you into. Be you, and be happy about being you first... then if you meet someone you think is acceptable for whom they are, you'll have a better chance of being happy with them in the long run.

OceanEyes likes this.
  9. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I liked reading the story! Thanks for sharing - it gives me hope... :)

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It was my second marriage, her first. I did not marry while I was the primary caregiver for my daughter, 'stepmother' has a lot of baggage in our culture. My mantra has been "I can make all new mistakes, I do not need to make the same mistakes as last time." We took a cruise to celebrate 10 years in April, our anniversaries* were not until June, but she was overbooked in May and June.

*Most couples have integer anniversaries, since they only have one wedding, we have real number anniversaries. Last saturday was 126.1 months, next saturday is 126.2 months. I am old enough I am not waiting to celebrate years, I celebrate twice a month. (I tell women it is our 125th wedding anniversary and they say "How romantic!' I tell men and they say "Jimbo, it only seem that long.")

OceanEyes likes this.
  11. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations on your success... I made the mistake of compromising myself and accepting unacceptable behavior until it just about killed me. A bit older and wiser now, I feel like my statement earlier - "if one cannot take the heat, don't stand near the fire." I am not changing my ways for anyone these days, which is why I found the reaction from the online person humorous. "Too active?" Oh well! Best wishes in your search for perfection, dude!:D

Happily, I am free of the emotional crap now from my ex and family said I look about ten years younger. That is what happens when you are suddenly free of 155 lbs of dead weight... ;) I wish him no ill will but am enjoying my freedom to do as I wish (including playing my music in my car without someone complaining about my selection).

But sometimes, it is nice to have someone to have coffee and conversation with - the ex was too much into booze to the point he drank on the way home from work... while driving.:mad: Just hope he straightens himself out before he hurts someone - a sad part of alcoholism is the alcoholic has to want the help... I got out and far away before I had to be a part of that. I was "alone" for years in my marriage but now feel surrounded by friends.

Off my soapbox for now... and looking forward to a date tomorrow.;)

ElectronFlux and amm0bob like this.
  12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs before the Prince shows up. Don't give up. Hang in there. Life has a way of rewarding the persistant. Get back on the horse again, the dating horse. Dating is the hardest thing to do. You have to put yourself in an akward and sometimes uncomfortable situation and size up this guy. Many questions arise. The best think is be honest with yourself, be selective, make a solid decision, and don't rush into anything, and have fun and enjoy the experience. Life is a precious journey for you and by all means look for Mr. Right. Dating can be the most fun you may have in a while. When you find that special someone it will launch feelings and emotions that are second to none. Hope it works out for you :)

OceanEyes likes this.
  13. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the pep talk! Haven't been dating since the Middle Ages so the whole environment is very new to me...:D

This online guy was definitely not for me. My horses (and my Prius - got to include her!:love: ) come first.

Luckily tomorrow's date is "interested" in learning more about horses but I think he would have been intimidated by 1100 lbs of ex racehorse launching into the air like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon because the octane in her grain was a bit high... my brother, who is used to seeing equine antics from the apartment window, asked what the Thoroughbred's issue was - he understood when I said, "Been in the garage too long - needs to blow the engine out..." This as I popped a piece of gum in my mouth and waited for the supercharged horse to come back to earth... it is not a life for the faint of heart! Her kicks hurt!

Yet, I have a therapy miniature who has done volunteer work for various agencies for 18 years and has gone where no other horse has gone - on elevators, nursing homes, schools, stores, riding in my Jeep Cherokee (long ago), being on TV in a mall to raise funds for animal related charities (she's "trailer trained")... so I just treat the six examples of live horsepower in the backyard as individuals.

Gawd, this has been a night of getting on my soapbox. Thanks to all for reading, replying and understanding.:)

JMD likes this.
  14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A good friend of mine a gal in her 50’s started dating again after many years of marriage. He husband passed away. She waited awhile and started the process. She got drunk one night and told a few of us the dating stories with all the details. She soliciated the help of her single girlfriend who gave her dating advise. She said she invested a good year in working out which was walking 3 + miles 2 days a week and dieting which was veggie juicing one meal every other day to get in shape for the dating Olympics. She was not heavy but not skinny but managed to lose 10% of her weight. She went into the city and got a good haircut from a Vidal Sasoon place which included Cut and Color. She also went to a few clothes places and managed to find a few outfits one she said was a man killer with a low plunging neck line that made her Physical assets look unbelievable she said. However she saved the killer outfit for the Third Date if she liked the guy and got that far. She said her first date was always a day time date and managed to be outside, with walking and plenty of talking. Now this is Southern California and I’m guessing walking outside in winter in New England may not be romantic. She always prepared 10 open questions or subjects to get the guy talking and discover much about them. However she asked them in away to not intimidate him. She would say, I grew up in Chicago and know what Cold winters are so where did you grow up? I guess guys are just as nervous as girls and if you can make them feel comfortable things will just go better. I guess the other advise is don’t sleep with the guy on the first date and be lady like and for sure thank him and if your interested say something like next weekend is the Blueberry Festival and I’m thinking of going but haven’t made specific plans with anyone yet and smile and have a dreamy look in your eyes. Unless he is a dummy he will understand to call you in 2-3 days and invite you to the Blueberry Festival. Remember dating takes planning so be prepared. He may not call you right away but if 3 days goes by and he did not call you he is not interested. Be carefull of the guys who just want Booty calls. If you have a Saturday Night date your #1 on his interest list. Now she did have some crazy dates like the guy who just complained about his X leaving him, or the guy who was upfront about his Mother having to approve his dates although the man is 50 years old, or the guy who says his bridge has no lift if you know what I mean. But in all she said she went on probably 25-30 dates and found a great guy who was educated and interesting and plenty in common, and on the Third date wore the man killer outfit and offered to cook him dinner at her place with the candles and wine and well you can imagine. So yes it works out. I did get invited to her wedding and yes they did honeymoon in Bora Bora and she said swam on a deserted beach unclothed.

ftl and OceanEyes like this.
  15. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love the advice and the positive outlook story... I do not believe in happy ever after, yet.;) Nor am I the type to be doing a lot of "test drives.":eek:

In the car world, this classic was one previous and only owner (Wait, what?!), and very low mileage.

Booty calls are for a younger generation...and good Gawd, if the bridge doesn't have a good lift system after test driving the other aspects of a good drive, I am choosing an alternate route and vehicle! Hence my post in the "Whoopee" thread... oh my!

JMD and hyo silver like this.
  16. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And still two years away from the half century mark - oh crap,;) the trouble I can potentially get into! Andy Rooney said it best!

And where is my Prius? (Safely parked, "asleep" until tomorrow)...:love:

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're getting dangerously close to TMI, but I'm not known for holding my own tongue, so I certainly won't critique you for not holding yours. :rolleyes:

Not that 'one owner, low mileage' isn't going to attract any attention - likely the wrong sort, if you're not interested in test drives - is a 'long term lease' more what you're thinking of?

Or maybe more like this? "Fun, feisty, flirting-with-fifty filly..." No, maybe not. :)

OceanEyes likes this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Yes I remember the Magic Wand that can crack concrete. Nah you will do fine. Just remember you have to Envision it for it to occur.

OceanEyes likes this.
  19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When it comes to cars, I wonder if men are more emotional than women.

OceanEyes likes this.
  20. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am all for "ask, believe & receive" - hence, my green Prius. Two years ago I looked for two signs on my way to work of the course life would take and each sign would mean something- a green Prius with CT plates and a Mayflower moving truck.... both were in traffic in upstate NY.:D

JMD likes this.