1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gouge City

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by suchham, Oct 14, 2004.

1. suchham

suchham New Member

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a dealer in my area was advertising 4 Priii in stock and available. My curiosity was aroused. So, I go take a look and, sure enough, they have 3 still on the lot-2004s. It turns out, they are USED vehicles with at least one having 9k miles on it. They are selling them for about $2,000 over NEW sticker price and apparently, are selling them. As of today, they have one left.
    As "smart" consumers, it's time to smack ourselves in the face and quit feeding this craziness. I mean, these dealers make plenty of money under normal conditions. All we are doing is stuffing their pockets and draining ours at the same time. I have no problem paying a fair price, but that is becoming harder to do in this climate.
    I have removed my name from the wait list (after 5 months) and am going to put off my Prius search for a year or so till the pendulum swings back my way. I refuse to pay top dollar now when, I'll be in a much better bargaining position not that much later.
    If you feel you absolutely HAVE to have the Prius now, fine. But if you can wait, by all means, wait. Imagine if a significant number of people presently on waitlists would cancel their orders. Suddenly, the huge demand drops and the greedyass dealers are left with surplus Prii. Then it's a buyers market and there's room to negotiate.
    Whaddya think?

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wish you could have had the excellent experience we had dealing with "Nanaimo Toyota" up here on Vancouver Island. We were told there was no bickering about the price, basic 2004 $29950 CAD "sticker price", put in our order for 2005 10 July 04 with $500 deposit. Received our 2005 basic $30330 CAD "sticker price on 30 Sept 04.
    In researching the price via toyota.ca we found that the policy was Canada wide although I'm not suggesting there are no unscruplous car salespersons up here.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    suchham, please look outside that dealer. People here have posted that they got their cars in WV at MSRP. Instead of waiting a year, find one of the reputable dealers that are within a reasonable driving distance and don't have long lists.