1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Governement of Ontario to offer cash incentives for electric cars and PHEVs...

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Evilshin, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Caught this in the news today...

Read it here from CTV,

CTV.ca | Ontario offers cash incentives for electric cars

Sadly the number of ignorant ignorant comments is scary.

In a CBC report of the same story, the reporter referred to electric cars as slower, despite mentioning the Tesla sports car and interviewing someone from Tesla...

No word whether the subsidy will include converting a Prius to a PHEV...

2. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope British Columbia does something like this too. At $15000 for a Hymotion plug-in conversion I'd be way more likely to do it if I could get a little help! As it is now, I'll wait a few years to see if the battery cost comes down...

3. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would say that it's almost a certainty that battery costs will go down. Also the Hymotion convertion is 60% profit.... That too will go down as competition heats up.

The Hymotion price tag is hard to justify. In a best case scenario I would be saving about $1200 a year in fuel bills. (That's with factoring in about $120 extra in electric bills.) That's 12 years worth of fuel to get their PHEV upgrade...

As batteries improve, and more DYI people publish their results, we might see an influx of kits. Those might push conversion costs down to about $6000 (CDN). Then we will be talking... I personally don't think it's worth it until you can recoup your cost within the warranty period of the upgrade....