1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

government science

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Jun 8, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    from Nature, one of the world's top science journals:
    http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060220/full/439896a.html
    Feb 20, 2006

"Major US science agencies such as NASA, the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health are all part of the executive branch of government, meaning that their employees answer ultimately to the president. In recent weeks, several researchers have gone public with charges that their government minders censored or otherwise manipulated their findings" (bold mine)

and a couple of examples:

"The latest round began last month, when James Hansen, a climate scientist at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, charged that NASA was trying to stop him doing media interviews that might cover policies on greenhouse-gas emissions."

what a surprise.

"Susan Wood, a former scientist at the Food and Drug Administration, spoke of her reasons for resigning last August, after her boss repeatedly delayed a decision to make the Plan B contraceptive more widely available. The morale of scientists at her former agency was at its lowest point ever, Wood said."

morale destroyed for a governmental definition of 'moral values'... what a way to do science.

stuff like this makes me sick. it defeats the entire purpose of scientific inquiry. the data is the data, we say in my lab. you can't fight it. you can't hide it. you can't discard it. but the government is above scientific conduct rules i guess.

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 8 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]268408[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a scientist and I work for the federal government, and what I see is disheartening. I have a lot of friends and colleagues who work at the EPA, and they are disgusted with the direction that agency has taken.
    Galaxee- are you a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists? If not, you should check it out. One of their major initiatives is restoring scientific integrity- http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/

3. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 8 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]268413[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Mike,
    Any idea why Christie Whitman left the EPA??? Any inside info? She hasn't really publically said, but I have a feeling it's because of the direction the EPA was going under the Bush Regime.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jun 8 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]268426[/snapback]</div>
    Undoubtably. Bush said during the 2000 campaign that he would add CO2 to the list of federally regulated pollutants; he reversed himself after the election. The EPA had announced in 2001 that they were reducing the acceptable level of arsenic in drinking water from 50 ppb to 10 ppb (as recommended by EPA scientists and the National Academy of Sciences.) The EPA however did not implement the new regs under order by the White House, giving in to pressure from the mining industry. Whitman was constantly being undercut.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for the link, michael.

i can't imagine what it's like to work for the government... and i don't plan to ever find out. we rely on the government enough in academia, and i plan on getting out of this place and never looking back. i'd hate to have my hard work twisted around until unrecognizable and added to the propaganda machine. and the kind of work i do right now is definitely propaganda fodder if twisted enough. (war on drugs, etc)

so from your perspective, is this really as common of an occurrence as they make it out to be?

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Political dogma is more common than people realize. I was with the Dept of Interior for 12 years. Agencies are bureaucratic by nature. Science tends to be on the cutting edge and rarely sits well when agencies need to translate findings into policy. It is even worse when a political regime imposes dogma and cuts funding. You can be moral, objective, honest, forward thinking, conservative, cautious and prudent - and still left out in the open feeling dejected. In too many cases career people hang on to ensure the paycheck comes every two weeks and looking toward retirement while trying every effort to not rock the boat or bring undue attention to yourself.

If you speak out, you are suspect. "The old myths have not yet died and the new myths are not yet fully accepted."

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 9 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]268540[/snapback]</div>
    Scientists have always been frustrated dealing with bureaucracy, especially in government agencies. That is nothing new. People in administrative positions- the people who control funding, major programmatic decisions, etc., have often had a misunderstanding, or even contempt, for science. Then they make decisions that often seem not to be based on any rational basis whatsoever.

But there are two major differences with the Bush administration. In the old days, your work might be ignored, or not given proper consideration. But you were generally at least left free to do your research the right way, at least as long as you had funding to do it. But now there is a deliberate attempt to subvert science by either allowing non-scientists to "edit" results of scientific research (such as Philip A Cooney, formercchief of staff of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, did to published reports on global warming); or by replacing scientists with industry shills on regulatory and advisory panels. It's gone beyond disregard for science- this is deliberate distortion and misrepresentation. And it often effects important decisions regarding the environment, health, food safety, etc.

The other change is that this administration is cracking down on whistleblowers. The latest Supreme Court decision which decided that government whistleblowers are not protected by free speech is only the latest move to supress them. Traditionally, the one last recourse that a government whistleblower would have if faced with reprisal was to file a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel. However, Bush put a partisan hack, Scott Bloch, in charge of the OSC. Under his tenure, numerous complaints by whistleblowers have gone uninvestigated. In particular, h has not investigated any complaints of discrimination based on sexual orientation, and he has conducted a witchhunt against gays in his own agency. So if you're an employee of the federal government and you become aware of fraud, waste or abuse, the message is keep your mouth shut if you want to keep your job. Twenty years ago at the lab where I work, an employee reported gross dumping of hazardous substances into a bay in violation of environmental regulations. The government had tried to force him out, but the ended up offering him a settlement. Today, that employee would likely be dumped into the bay along with the chemicals.

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 8 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]268408[/snapback]</div>
    Just a couple of points ... in the case of the media interviews, is that the scientist's job? The people paying the bills, be it government or private industry, often dictate what kind of information gets out. The solution in a free society is simple ... fund your own research and talk all you want. If the boss doesn't want you talking out of school, then don't.

Public policy on approvals of things like "plan b contraceptions" ... which "may inhibit implantation by altering the endometrium" along with preventing ovulation or fertilization ... are dictated by the political view of the bosses. And should be. They are the elected ones, remember? Science can say if its safe, or effective, but science cannot say if the drug should be available. The "will of the people" should do that, and when a candidate who is pro-life wins, these kinds of decisions are expected. An pill that "may be" an abortion pill isn't going to fly with a pro-life/anti-abortion administration.

The line may have been crossed by the Bush administration, but I'd have to look at these two cases critically to see if they have been in these specific cases.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 10 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]269075[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Hansen has felt compelled to speak publicly because the findings of his research has been supressed. In the case of the scientist at the FDA, it was her supervisor who kept Plan B from being made available. The FDA is not supposed to make political decisions; they are only supposed to determine if a drug is effective and safe.

10. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 10 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]269075[/snapback]</div>
    I think this concept is just downright dangerous - not you in particular, but the idea that results should only be shared if they meet the expectations of those doing the funding. If pharmecuticals buried a set of tests that indicated their product was dangerous, and the scientists doing the work stayed quiet, we'd be outraged. You should be similarly outraged when the government tries to use the same sham science practices, especially because they are SUPPOSED to be serving the people. The fact that we've elected someone who promotes a certain idealogy does not mean that they should be allowed to manipulate our scientists or their findings.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    science is science. any so-called "moral" values held by our politicians or whatever you care to call it do not have any say over the FACTS... and facts are those things that should be freely available to the public and not censored so that you only hear the version that the political folks want you to hear. i don't care if they say it's for the "greater good" or whatever. you can't go around hiding facts simply because they oppose your stand on the issues.

withholding information because it's not what the government wanted to hear is NOT acceptable in any case whatsoever. the majority of things we learn through research are not what we had predicted to learn when we started. those have been some of our most important discoveries.

the purpose of science is to do a critical and unbiased study based on good design, then report the results *as discovered* and not twisted by whatever Mr. Prez wants the american public to believe today. the fact that this unbiased approach is then censored, essentially, by biased bureaucrats, is so backward and wrong it's depressing.

why are scientists pissed off? because we dedicate our lives to the facts. politicians are now dedicating their lives to covering up any study that says what they don't want to hear. and succeeding, mainly because of our dependence on governmental funding.

and fshagan says something to the effect of oh go fund your own research then.

which is fantastic in theory, but when 250 MICROliters of radiactive ligand for my receptor (which will run around 4 assays or about a week's worth) costs $600, and a couple hundred MICROliters of each antibody i use is also hundreds of dollars, and basic lab equipment totals up to the millions... it's simply not feasible.

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]269183[/snapback]</div>
    You also have to considering the alternative to public funding for science. For example, if medical research is not funded by the government, then it would all be funded by pharmaceutical companies. That is clearly NOT in the public interest.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This isn't news, the bushies have been destroying government science since they got in the White House. It was one of their top priorities, which is one of many reasons why they were ignoring terrorist threats up until 9/11. The bottome line is that if it comes from government, you can't depend on it. It'll take decades to fix what they've done and restore the credibility of governmental science. If we can get the bushies out of the White House, that is.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 10 2006, 01:02 AM) [snapback]269075[/snapback]</div>
    Hansen's work under NASA is public domain. We paid for it with our tax dollars. Yes, it is part of his job to communicate his findings with the public, and NASA provides media training to do so. That's one of the reasons this is so unpalletable.

15. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 8 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]268408[/snapback]</div>
    But obviously you can suppress it if it doesn't coincide with your worldview.

There ARE WMDs.
    Well, there COULD have been.

There is no evidence of global warming.
    Okay, maybe a little.

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

While you are at it, critically review the shrub's white house editing of the EPA report on environment re global warming, their editing of the state of education of in America, .. and their editing of the National health report -- exercises in suppresion of information deemed politically expedient.

Curious that someone as interested in politics as you would have turned a blind eye to this for so long. I'd have thought you would be preparing your apologist rhetoric way ahead of time.