1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS - California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jmad1138, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

I see a lot of Gps units attached to the windshields here in L.A. Now I hear that is against the law. Has anyone gotten a ticket or know of anyone who has gotten a ticket for using the windshield mount?

Also any new thoughts on Garmin vs Tomtom?

Thank you

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jmadison @ Feb 12 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]389075[/snapback]</div>
    It's like driving with no front license plate. Rare to get pulled over for it, but not uncommon to get written up for it if you're pulled over for another reason.

For a budget unit w/o Bluetooth, I'd seriously consider the Magellan 2000. It's the least expensive unit I know of with touchscreen input and the SiRF III receiver, and has received good reviews.

Anyone who recommends an older Garmin unit like the c3x0 or 26x0/27x0 units without the caveat that they have an older, less sensitive receiver chipset is someone whose advice you should ignore. I consider those units obsolete.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a TomTom!

Depends what you're looking for. Care to give more specifics? (e.g. features/price/size etc)

4. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I have used TomTom (ver 2) on an Ipaq for three years now. My maps are getting out of date but it doesn't seem worth the expense of an upgrade - which would mean total replacement of soft and hard ware. I like TomTom and I run GPSassist alongside it to give audio warning of speeding and also when near to speed cameras.
    I have also used Garmin's Que software for trips into Europe, when a general world map of main roads was enough (my TomTom maps stop at the UK limit). You can add supplimentary maps to the garmin software, which is great as you can add roads yourself if you enjoy playing with open source software. In the USA you have a great source of free digital map data from USGS etc. In the UK it is very different.
    On balance I prefer the TomTom interface, finding the Garmin selection screen buttons fussy, but there is very little between them.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ Feb 13 2007, 05:17 AM) [snapback]389427[/snapback]</div>
    TomTom software v6 is quite colourful and very intuitive. I prefer that over the Garmin's simple, straightforward but a bit bland interface (just a text button and no graphics)

6. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 13 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]389888[/snapback]</div>

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 for my truck. It works great, voice gives streets by name, bluetooth, fairly large screen, can be carried in shirt pocket. You can get an optional dash mount to keep it off the windshield. Garmin states it is illegal to mount on windshield in Minn and Cal.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Feb 14 2007, 04:21 AM) [snapback]390100[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah the Nuvi looks great. It's bit out of my budget though that's why I went with the ONE. I think the 660 will more or less compete with the GO 910 since it has TTS and bluetooth hands-free (bluetooth on my ONE is strictly for data transfer).