1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS cannot find Campmor!

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by BubbleDogs, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was using Garmin in my old truck, and now I have this GPS on Prius v. I was trying to put Campmor's retail store in

810 Route 17 North
    Paramus, New Jersey 07652

When I was putting RT-17, the GPS automatically gave me 5 choices. Good.... But 4 out of the choices did not have the address (home address in this case 810) section highlighted, so I could not put the 810 in. One choice had the address highlighted, but the choice had no "8". I used "POI", and put "Campmor" and it gave me its HQ (?) in Mahwah. I tried coordinates, and it went nowhere (well somewhere except to campmor). I used Eastern Mountain Sports, which is next to Campmor. And it could not find it. So I had this GPS for nothing, and I used the iPhone to navigate. My old Garmin had no problem finding Campmor. What did I do wrong??

2. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to the land of shitty third party built-ins we are stuck with! Both my old Magellan GPS and my $20 Sirius portable radio work better than the BRAND NEW factory unit. (my 2010 original pooped the bed......GPS can't find home and was changing radio stations.....) Yes.....GPS unit changing radio stations!

Keep us posted on your resolution (or lack of)

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One solution:
    When you get to your destination using your Garmin, go to the V's map, zoom in on your spot so you can see the road name, touch it, save it, rename it appropriately with a short name. Note how the car's system identified the road which may be an older HWY xxx or could be some local "Johnson Hwy" type of name. For example when I used Google map for the address I got:

810 New Jersey 17
    Paramus, NJ 07652

instead of:
    810 Route 17 North
    Paramus, New Jersey 07652

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bubbledogs, you are not alone. I dread having to find addresses on highways. Route 3 is also bad. When you got to the store how was the street name displayed on the screen?

Bottom line is you didn't do anything wrong. You just need to learn the unit's language. Sometimes my Garmin works "better" , sometimes not.

5. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You need to tell it to use "present location".

6. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all! I did write down the street name that the v GPS showed when we were at Campmor. Will try to find it again. I know "RT" "HWY" can be a problem also in Garmin, but gee, I was sweating when the v;sGPS could not find Campmor while Iwas driving to the general direction!