1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS Directions Faulty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ambrueck, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ambrueck

ambrueck New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am frequently receiving faulty driving directions in areas where I know the street layouts quite well. These are not errors attributable to recent changes in street layouts. Toyota has had enough years to debug this system. If it cannot get it right, it should just give up and buy a good system from Garmin. I have over ten years experience in using GPS systems, so these errors are not due to my lack of familiarity with GPS.

2. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No problem out here in Seattle/Tacoma. Seems to know both the older streets as well as a newer onramp that my Honda GPS is clueless about (needs software update).

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind the data is at least a year old before it hits our NAV DVD's :( I'm kinda longing for 9.x myself in the newer areas of the greater Phoenix valley.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mapping data problems? tell that to Navteq.

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hold on a second here. When you claim that there are "Faulty Directions", are you referring to the the GPS navigating you to a different final destination that you wanted, or it is taking different streets than you may choose, as you know the area, and the better shortcuts?

What many people perceive as 'incorrect directions' is often simplly the GPS doing what it was designed to do: Find the 'quickest' route from A to B. Keeping that general logic in mind, a GPS will often prefer to route you to dsurface streets with higher posted limits that the streets that you prefer to take.

Example: In my area, I work in the Chicago Loop (downtown area). I commute about 21 miles each way, and the GPS will suggest that I take the highway home. While this is fine for the first 3/4 of my commute, it is a BAD idea for the lasy 6 miles or, as two surface streets are MUCH better, with no traffic, and while posted at 45 speed limit, often travels much faster. As a result, I could claim that the GPS is wrong, when in reality, it is trying to keep me at '55' longer, and in theory trying to decude the time needed to complete my trip.

If this is not what you mean, and the data is Faulty, this is not a Toyota issues but an issue with the data vender, which is NavTeq. They also provided the information used in the last 3 GPSs that I have owned, and they all have the same errors. However, in one case, the first GPS that I have had OEM (in my Prius V), corrects these errors.

Please provide specific examples of the issue that you are having so that we can possibly help you with this, or at least warn other of the same issue if confirmed.