1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS DVD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CAVEIN, Mar 6, 2007.

1. CAVEIN

CAVEIN New Member

I've got a 2005 prius and i'd like to get the new dvd so the gps is as up to date as possible. does anyone know a place i can find it cheaper online or somewhere? toyota wants $300 for it. please let me know. thanks!
    ds

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) there's a great deal of information on PriusChat regarding updating the NAV DVD. I suggest you search on "NAV Update"

One caveat: When the MFD was upgraded to higher resolution a new DVD was produced which is NOT COMPATIBLE with the former NAV systems. Can't remember exactly, but I believe that upgrade occurred in the late 2005's to the 2006's.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This means that when you order one you must specify which year you have, so you get the right version.

Another caveat: If you get the 6.1 version (as opposed to the 5.1) the override that you could do with a 2004-2005 Prius won't work any more.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Mar 6 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]401159[/snapback]</div>
    Unless you make a hybrid disc consisting of the 5.1 (or 4.2 depending on when your car was made) LOADING.KWI and your 6.1 disc. See the links below for instructions on how to make it.

http://priuschat.com/2006-Nav-DVD-t19268.html
    and
    http://priuschat.com/Hybrid-NAV-disc-with-...ata-t28339.html

The first link tells how to remove the old dvd and insert the new one, but jump to the last post for current photos.

The second link gives details on how to substitute the LOADING.KWI file.

The override does work for me on my 2005. That is the one using the touchscreen. I'm still waiting to get the Lockpick, but I've gotten good enough at doing the override by hand I may cancel the Lockpick order if it doesn't ship within the next two days. I have been waiting over a week now, and had the tracking number since the morning of Feb. 26th.

Dave M.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sure this will please Charles, but I'm not too pleased. I was reading the 2007 Nav manual and noted that all of the information on the disks is copyright 2005. This means the data, Roads, POIs, lane changes, etc., are prior to 2006, and I doubt they got the copyright in late 2005. It seems it takes Info USA, NavTeq, TeleAtlas, Visa, and Denso two years to master a new Nav DVD for the US. Grrrrr :angry:

The Bullseye Design is a registered trademark of Target Brands, Inc. Yep, the manual says that. Must be a POI icon...

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 6 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]401471[/snapback]</div>
    And while it may be copyright in 2005, I doubt all the data is from 2005. There are grocery stores in my area that have been around for at least 4 years that don't show up on the new dvd.

Dave M.