1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS in Europe

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tsteineman, Apr 6, 2007.

1. tsteineman

tsteineman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    HI all Priusites,

I shipped my 2005 US Specs Prius to Germany. I have the fully loaded package, but I cannot use my GPS. I found one over here that will load up but only speaks in French. I've contacted Toyota US, Japan and Germany, and it seems that since the DVD player is US specs no EUropean DVD's will load up.

Any thoughts?

Another thing I've discovered is that using the heater seriously cuts back on milage. During the cold months here I averaged only about 37. SInce it's warmed up I'm up to 43. I think the real issue is that I live only 4 miles from work so it doesn't get a chance to get past the "warm up"

2. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuttgart Tim @ Apr 6 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]419156[/snapback]</div>
    I would suggest just buying an aftermarket portable GPS. Magellan's RoadMate series have all of North America and Europe on their units with no discs to change or software to load. In the US, there is an added fee of $100 to have the Europe maps unlocked.

This way, when/if you come back to the states, you can still use the thing on other cars.

Either that, or take some French lessons.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The DVD maps are also region-locked?

Maybe just get a Euro DVD box.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or find some nefarious hacker who will take a GB DVD and copy it without region code or with region 1 code. Not that I'm suggesting you violate any EU copyright laws...

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    seek out the grill blocking threads. it really helps mileage in cold weather!