1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS map update

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by richk, Jun 10, 2016.

1. richk

richk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How often do people update the GPS/map stuff? I have a 2015 model, and I have seen a few places where the maps are out of date. Are the $20 options on eBay worth anything? How does the process work?

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have to buy a flash from the dealer i believe. they are expensive, so most only get them if they really want/need them. otherwise, they use a portable or phone.

3. PaulD

PaulD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got the DVD from eBay. It's working fine in my Prius.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that legal?

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you have to ask...

I've heard it takes 3 years for a change to post to the map database so whatever you buy is out of date.

I have a Garmin with lifetime maps. Every year I get a message that the map is out of date. It isn't worth the time & effort. Maybe if I was going to a new area or if the unit couldn't find an address I'd spend the time for the upgrade.

6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It all depends on what you mean by "worth anything". Chances are they are counterfeit, so buyer beware. Prius (and other) maps are generally at least a year out of date, so you'll never get a completely up-to-date map. Even units by Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc., aren't completely current, but they're generally more so than in-car units and can usually be purchased for the cost of a single "legal" DVD update for the Prius.

I know it sounds strange to use a Garmin when the car has a built-in, but the Garmin offers so much more, like speed limits, traffic and nostly the ability to use it while the car is moving. I had the Garmin before we bought the Prius and it no longer will route, but it still gives me speed limits, has many more POIs and my wife can search for things while the car is moving. When we find something, it's easy to speak the address for the Prius to guide us. I also use my Note 5, but there's not always a signal, so the Garmin still comes in handy. We didn't buy the Prius for the nav, but I like having it integrated with the audio system so I don't miss directions. I figured out how to get the Note 5 audio through the Prius, but I don't use the phone in too many cases because it impacts our data plan and there's no radio while listening to phone nav directions.

bisco likes this.
  7. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2010-2011 GPS Map update for the Prius are in DVD, the 2012-2015 GPS Map update for the Prius are USB flash drive updates. 2 different system. So yes, the 2010-2011 DVD works, but not for any model year from 2012-2015.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have looked through my manuals as well as searched the online manuals and I simply cannot find ANY information on how to update the maps in our 2014 Prius Four navigation system, the one that looks like this. Because of the spinning disk on the loading display, I thought it was DVD-based.

EDIT: I did find an answer to a customer question advising them to simply contact their local dealer.

#8 DoubleDAZ, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeah, dealerships has the USB to update the Map... the 2012 and up doesn't have the DVD disc inserts like the 2010 and 2011 does, which was behind the glove compartment I believe... if I remembered correctly lol... I do want to update my GPS maps too but there's none available for 2012 and up unless you go to the dealership.

10. ThePriusFam

ThePriusFam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They appear to be legit copyrighted discs--I bought one from EBay too. It had all the correct labeling and did not look homemade. The seller also was not a fly by night guy and sells lots of them. His source at his pricing ($20)? No idea. But he's definitely not a secret.

As others have pointed out, the DVD based system is the premium GPS in the older cars--I have the 7" screen with DVD insert behind the sliding screen. The discs work great and I don't know about the 3 year delay, but because the 2011 maps were very out of date, the 2015 maps have been quite an improvement. I would say they are up to date within the last couple of years now.

I do have a 2013 Prius 5 with the regular system and I sure wish I could buy a USB key from that guy. Or maybe it's Micro SD. I might wait until the maps get really out of date in a few years and then pay the dealer for an update.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably why toyota changed it.:cool:

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    PM sent