1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS Maps in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RFJohnston, May 17, 2008.

1. RFJohnston

RFJohnston New Member

I just moved to Hawaii, and brought my '07 with GPS from the mainland. I've seen several posts here on not having Hawaii maps available, but most are quite old. Went to the local dealer on Oahu and they say island maps not available.

Has anyone found a way to upload maps into the 'puter? If Toyota has update DVDs then there must be an aftermarket solution to add maps that Toyota wont support.

The LatLong is correct so the unit is functional, just no maps....

Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

2. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    E komo mai!

Toyota probably views Hawaii as a very small market. If this forum doesn't have the answers, you could try posting at HawaiiThreads.com. Lots of geocachers, GPS users, and tech geeks of all flavors. You can also get specific answers on businesses, eateries, trails, or other categories that you typically pull off a GPS.

3. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There probably won't be any until the map makers understand Ewa and Koko Head directions, windward, leeward, Makai, Mauka, and "turn at the pink store".

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Navigation systems are not available with any Toyota or Lexus vehicles sold in Hawaii. Hence you should not expect to find any mapping software that will work with the factory nav units.

It appears to me that an aftermarket GPS unit would be the easiest way to solve your problem.

5. 808carguy

808carguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I found out from another thread that the GPS that comes with the Prius will work in Hawaii. It may be true that Toyota Hawaii does not sell cars with the built in navigation systems, but if you buy your car on the mainland and have it shipped here, the system will work in Hawaii. Please verify this if anyone has had personal experiences with the nav system here in Hawaii.:)

6. RFJohnston

RFJohnston New Member

Read my initial post in this thread, and you will see the answer to your comment. I bought MY car here from the mainland. :doh:

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The GPS receiver in the Prius (mainland version) works, but the GPS software doesn't have a map of Hawaii. Hence the OP's problem.

Solution: get an aftermarket GPS unit.

We brought our Nuvi 760 to Kauai last month and used it in our rental car. Worked great.

8. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting. I updated to 7.1 (2007 is 6.1), and I can scroll over to Hawaii and see roads. I can't actually test it though.

Edit: see my other post for some screen shots.

9. 808carguy

808carguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got my 2008 and the maps DO appear on the nav system. I haven't tried to put addresses into it for the voice directions, but the roads do appear and it shows the car moving. Is this normal?