1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gps mount with antenna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 1F7, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 1F7

1F7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 5-year-old Garmin 2610 gps that has served faithfully, and wanted a convenient mount in the prius. Criteria:

1. Not visible when not in use.
    2. Convenient to go from not-in-use to in-use and back.
    3. Must attach to an external antenna.
    4. Must connect to switched power.

It's not quite as slick as what I did in my previous car, but it's serviceable. I made a removable mount for the front console cupholder, which is just a tapered wooden cylinder turned on a lathe and painted black. The gps mounts on the tapered cylinder with the standard Garmin clip-in mount and permanent adhesive disk. The cords route along the passenger side of the center
    console, through a notch I cut to avoid pinching them when the console is closed, and the power is supplied by the in-console 12-volt outlet. When the gps is not in use, the cylinder and gps and cord all stay connected and just stow in the center console. So to use the gps, just open the console, plop the cylinder in the cupholder, put the cord in the notch, and close the console.

I mounted the Gilsson external antenna under the black plastic cowl that is between the windshield and hood on the passenger side. The plastic didn't interfere with reception and hides the puck-like antenna. The cord runs under the black cowl to the drivers side, threads into the back of the engine compartment, follows the hood release cable through the firewall, then across the front underdash, and under the carpet to the center console. FWIW, the external antenna is necessary for the tree-covered streets we have around here, especially for an older gps mounted in the middle of the car.

Looking at the gps screen does require looking down from the road, but we use the voice prompts more than the screen. It works well, is easy to reach, and meets the above criteria. Perhaps these ideas will be useful to someone.

PriusGps.jpg PriusGpsBase.jpg PriusGpsAntenna.jpg

2. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the gps in my phone, mounted in a proclip centre mount... good antenna signal there, and I never leave my phone in the car... and free map upgrades from nokia. I think i'd have to pay something to get voice prompts, but I don't need that feature... I'll enroll if I ever do.