1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS Navigation Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pkprius, Jan 31, 2007.

1. pkprius

pkprius New Member

Hello All,

I have been reading up a lot on this website. I am very amazed the amount of information this site. Thank you for website creator and its supports. I am very happy to see that there is lots of support from fellow Pruis drivers. :D

I am curious if there is a trick where I could upgrade my 07 prius - package 3 to include Toyota's GPS navigation. My steering wheel says “Map†– that is what triggered this question on my mind.

Regards,
    PK
    Prius Driver

2. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been wondering the same thing. I also have a 2007 Pkg #3. I'm sure the wiring harness should be there. The dealer I spoke to said it was a factory option only. Could you not salvage the parts from a wreck?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll need more than just the GPS system. You'll need the disc reader (the one under the driver's seat), the gyro in the wheel, the GPS receiver and so forth.

There's a thread in this forum that I posted that links to a ClubLexus thread where some dude was going to convert his non-navigation model IS to one with navigation (which also includes the MFD since standard IS models don't have a screen).

You could follow his lead if you wish.

4. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gyro in the wheel?????? You'll have to explain that one. I understand about the reader under the seat, antenna, and GPS unit but what else would you need? Is this upgrade even possible? I do think it would be too expensive for me.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Feb 1 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]384106[/snapback]</div>
    I believe it does track the speed of the vehicle. I hope someone more technically-inclined can confirm what I said and give more details. I'm just running on memory from what I've read here lol. I can only remember so much :( .

The upgrade may be possible but it wil require extensive work.

It's just easier to get a Garmin "black box" nav system that uses the Prius screen. The only difference is that it uses a remote control instead of touch screen.

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know that it's actually a gyro. The system does, however, need to track wheel rotation so that it can use a combination of physical movement and GPS reception to compute your position.

I suspect there are sensors on two opposite wheels to measure turns.

7. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 1 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]384213[/snapback]</div>
    I would be very interested in a "black box" that uses the Prius screen. Do you know which model would do that? And where would you connect it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Feb 2 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]384448[/snapback]</div>
    I think the GPS reception is all that is needed. Sensors in the wheels just doesn't make sense. I have a portable GPS that works great without wheel sensors.

8. slvr_phoenix

slvr_phoenix Tinker Gnome

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Feb 2 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]384524[/snapback]</div>
    I was about to say the same thing. You beat me to it. So I guess I'll just say ditto instead. :lol:

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Feb 2 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]384524[/snapback]</div>
    here ya go!

http://www.tigergps.com/garmingvn52.html

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The wheel sensors provide distance information in periods where you lose GPS satellite reception.

They're also used to provide faster turn response on the display. The Nav doesn't have to wait for a significant change in position to realize that you've turned a street corner.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't go with the Toyota GPS it isn't worth it. Instead take the prior posters suggeston and get the Garmin.

I don't know if it is a gyro or not either but the concept is to guesstimate your position when the signal is lost.

Wildkow

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Feb 2 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]384743[/snapback]</div>
    dead-reckoning right?

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, dead-reckoning.

14. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Phoenix @ Feb 2 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]384584[/snapback]</div>
    I won't say the same thing. Built in systems integrate with steering and wheel information. It is important for cities with tall buildings, deep canyons, tunnels, etc. where reception of satellites is spotty. A quick glance in the service manual mentions these other inputs. It is why the Lockpick mentions increasing inaccuracy in positioning while it interrupts the speed sensor wire for address input while moving.

- Tom

15. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Turns are sensed with a low-accuracy gyro:
    [attachmentid=6454]

Attached Files:

16. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Feb 5 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]385633[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota Nav systems use the internal compass and teh ABS wheel speed sensors to get a best guess location which is compared to the map information to get a location (this is needed only when GPS signal is lost. GPS signals don't get lost very easily. The Toyota system is refered to as "map matching".

17. electricblue

electricblue Junior Member

Is it just me or this nav system lame? I have a Garmin that is plenty accurate and it is much easier to use. I keep running in to the need to add four digit addresses and can only enter two. I tried to find a establish big name hotel by the airport and it did not have it in the list.

I am new to this car and Nav system and I know it did not take me long to get full use out of the Garmin. Am I missing a trick or can I upgrade to better?

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricblue @ Mar 11 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]403693[/snapback]</div>
    Even with the 6.1 version there are places that don't show up. I think that even its latest database is at least two years old, unless you're in a really big city location. I don't think they keep up with changes in smaller towns. For all I know they may be out of date in larger cities as well.

Dave M.

19. electricblue

electricblue Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Mar 11 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]403784[/snapback]</div>
    This is what got me, I am in a big city and the hotel has been there as long as I can remember. The address is 1800 I could only enter 18. I don't even know if this road goes that low. When I get to the hotel it say's I am at my destination. why does it only allow me to enter to digits? I got the Nav system because it was a integrated part of the car. No hanging wires or custom mounting. For the amount of money they charge I was expecting a Nav system that was a little bit more competitive to the cheaper after market alternatives. Not that price has anything to do with quality of software.
    I have read post how bad the UI is on this system but I was figuring once I got used to the oddities the content and features would be there. It is starting to look like this is not that case. I am hoping that I all I need to do is turn that corner and find that I am using it wrong.

Now I am asking are there alternatives that can load into the existing system.

20. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricblue @ Mar 11 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]403788[/snapback]</div>
    Usually when I have this problem it is because I've selected the wrong segment of a long street. For some reason, there seems to be a lot of variation in street naming. Not just N S E or W but also Ave St Blvd etc. Add to that streets that run through multiple cities and there are even more possibilities. What hotel were you looking for? Many times there are name & location variations that cause problems with those as well. I was just looking for a Kaiser Hospital and it turns our there are about 20 variations in how Kaiser facilities are named in the system. I had to go back and reselect different names until I found the one I was looking for. If you are positive of the city it's in then that can help but entering the wrong city kills the search. Over the years, I've gotten used to the UI and can usually find what I'm looking for now but it isn't always simple.