1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS Output?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dstrout, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    I'm 99.9% certain I know the answer to this, but is there anyway to get a datastream from the GPS to interface to 3rd party applications?

thanks,
    dave.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not natively. I suppose anything's possible with proper engineering, as you can see the satellites in diagnostic mode.

3. dstrout

dstrout New Member

I thought as much. Thanks.

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been thinking about the same thing... The data (lines) between the NAV equipment and the GPS antenna can be sniffed... I'll bet that it could be done.

I'd like a add serial out for the GPS, it would make war driving much easier and cleaner looking... ;)

5. dstrout

dstrout New Member

heh. I was trying to avoid the "w" word, but yup! This: http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.ph...products_id/401

is going in the back, and I don't mind running the wifi antenna to it, but I was hoping to avoid having a wire for the GPS too. Esp. when the bloody car has GPS built in. Oh well.

dave.

6. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Look into a CAN232 Connector. You can use this to reverse engineer info out of the car. There are three main networks that make up the car. Can't think of them off the top of my head....CAN, BEAN, and another one. without going thru my notes I believe the BEAN networks handles audio, video, and Nav functionality. there is a way to get the CAN to talk to the BEAN to request information.

I'm going to play around with the guess gauge since the CAN spits out data on that gauge. Problem is interpreting the Hex that is received.

L8r,
    Bit