1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ammiel, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ammiel

ammiel New Member

Sometimes it can take 5-10 minutes for my GPS to lock onto enough satellites to fix position meanwhile it usually does OK with dead reckoning. Other times it is fine. I think problem is that repertoire of satellites is limited some how. This is a problem especially when I enter a new destination. Map may show previous route, or place me in next town over. Map jumps around a while till it locks on. Have had it to dealer 3x they find nothing wrong. I tell them to wait till one of its lockons goes over the horizon, they say it is OK. Any ideas/suggestions? TIA
    Ammiel

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Questions like this would be easier to answer if you posted your location and package number. I assume you are talking about the factory NAV system. With any GPS you need a clear line of sight to the satellites. Mountains, buildings, or even trees can block the signal. When you first power on a GPS unit, it takes a little time for it to acquire the satellites. If your GPS has not been on for an extended period, it can take 15 minutes or more to acquire the almanac from the system and start locating the satellites, but that is an extreme case. Normally you should get a workable fix in about 30 seconds.

Setting a new destination has no effect on satellite acquisition. Perhaps it's just a coincidence since you set a new destination when you are starting out on a trip.

Post a few more details and we will see if we can help.

Tom

3. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Tom in as much as need MORE information. (Year, Package, and in this instance, NAV disc version number.) :noidea:

Not sure if this will apply to Prius, but are you in the zone for needing NAV TSB EL012-06 ("NAV System shows vehicle in wrong location") or its Prius equivalent? :ranger: