1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS recommendations

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by maggieddd, Apr 1, 2007.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really nice GPS navigation system for driving purpose. My Prius already has GPS but I'd like to have a portable one so I can use it around the world. I rent cars in different countries and some do come with GPS and some don't. I'd like to have my own. Any comments on the size of the display? Mounting types?

thanks

2. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    just how much were you planing to spend. The Garmin Nuvi 670 comes with Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America and Europe (full coverage). I have the 680 for my truck and really like it, and does mp3 with a SD mem card through the FM transmitter. The Vehicle suction cup mount really works well for me. But this upper end are pricey.

What areas are you in the most, or would like to see the most coverage?

I really like the screen size. But, there are kits that you can get to turn your pda/Laptop into Turn by Turn GPS's. That might me an option.

later

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I really like my Garmin StreetPilot 2720. It has a heavy, detachable "beanbag" base and sits very nicely on the dashboard, right in my line of sight, but without obstructing my view of the road. So I don't have to turn away from the road to see the map. It's smaller than the Prius's MFD, but very easy to read.

It plugs into a cigarette lighter and has spoken turn-by-turn directions, which are also shown on the display, along with the map.

It comes pre-loaded with all of the U.S. and Canada. You'd have to check out their web site for information on maps for other countries. They're talking about supporting Apple, but last time I checked you still needed a PC to load maps.

Including the beanbag base, however, it's kind of heavy, and for international travel you'd have to balance the hassle of adding weight and bulk to your luggage, against the cost of renting a GPS with your rental car.

Overall, it's an excellent unit. Based on the complaints I've read here concerning the NAV, I'd say that in every respect except size it's better than the Prius's NAV.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I have a Garmin Vista handheld GPS for my boat, but I wouldn't recommend it for a car (display is too small). I've heard a lot of good things about the Nuvi. I have the factory NAV in my Prius, but I'm looking for something for my wife's car, preferably with bluetooth hands-free phone interface (which the Nuvi and a lot of the GPS units now have). The Nuvi has a big (relatively) screen, but it's not too bulky so it would be good for carrying around while walking.
    Lately stores like Circuit City and Best Buy have been having GPS units on sale (not sure about the Nuvi; it's one of the pricier ones) so you might get a good deal.

5. Cactus Hybrid

Cactus Hybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you own a Treo smart phone then I recommend TOM TOM Navigator 6. I just bought one for my Treo and it works great! I use it even in my Prius. Call me sick but it's interesting to hear the "GPS Girls" have a cat fight over which route to take :)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like my TomTom ONE. They're on sale for cheap now (last I heard was $249). It has traffic, weather, road conditions, buddies (if you know someone else who has a TT lol), tons of languages to choose from and runs off the UNIX/LINUX platform so there's tons of open source program to enhance your experience if you wish to.

In terms of voice guidance, it's fairly clear (the English ones anyway... haven't experimented much with other languages). It's quite portable (only 1" thick) with a 3.5" screen.

The 3rd version will come with a 1GB internal memory with North America (plus Hawaii and Guam) loaded with an SD card slot for expandable memory.

If you need handsfree calling, then go up to the GO 510 (also with iPod controls and a larger 4" screen that's almost 16:9).

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I am not really on a tight budget. I want get a unit that will support as much coverage globally as possible. I am not really interested in the extra features such as mp3 player etc.
    My major interest is in South America, Africa and Asia for the coverage. North America, Europe and Australia are pretty well sign posted and the rental cars come with GPS already so I am not that concerned with those areas.
    I don't have the Treo so TOMTOM is out of the question.
    Thanks for your recommendations so far. I am going to check what Garmin has to offer.
    If anybody else has any other ideas please let me know.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 1 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]416149[/snapback]</div>
    A Nuvi 370 is better in every way than a StreetPilot 2720, plus it costs less, includes a traffic receiver, and has features that you can't get on the 2720, like Bluetooth. There have been many significant improvements in portable GPS units in the past few years, I don't know why you keep recommending that obsolete unit of yours.

Depending on the OP's budget and needs, I could recommend any of the following units:

Magellan 2000T
    Garmin c320
    Garmin Nuvi 350/360/370
    Garmin Nuvi 650/660/670

9. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the Garmin Nuvi 660. it is really great, very portable, fits in a shirt pocket. You can get SD cards for just about anywhere. It can be used as a language translator, currency exchange, bluetooth and much more. Gives street names, easy to update thru internet. I like the larger screen as I also use it in my truck and motor home. The Garmin Nuvi 670 & 680 are newer models. As mentioned before pricey. If you can afford them I highly recommend them. Shop on the internet and you can save big $$$$.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 2 2007, 01:45 AM) [snapback]416335[/snapback]</div>
    I recommend it because I like it. The OP can read all the recommendations and make up her own mind.

A traffic receiver is useless except where traffic info is available, in only a very few major US cities, and the OP said she will be using it overseas.

11. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 2 2007, 04:45 AM) [snapback]416335[/snapback]</div>
    Costs less? Not from what I see. Can you get me a new Nuvi 370 for less than $400 from a reputable retailer??

The Garmin 2720 is now $399.99 at Costco with their $200 coupon I received in a mailer. A quick scan of prices for the Nuvi 370 shows it in the mid $600's (Amazon) to $700's or more online (more than 50% more!). Sure, the Nuvi 370 may be somewhat more capable, but from what I understand the 2720 is still a very fine unit.

Rick
    #4 2006

12. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Pick a Garmin with the feature set you want. The reason I say Garmin is because they have the most unbelievably good support I have ever seen.

Try to get one that uses the SiRF chip set. They lock-in very fast and are the most sensitive units available.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Apr 1 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]416197[/snapback]</div>
    You don't need a Treo to get a TomTom. They sell individual units like Garmin and Magellan.

I can tell you TT doesn't have SA or Africa. It does have HK, Singapore, Australia and is starting to get the Middle East.

Oh and the higher end models will come with mp3 whether you like it or not lol. (Garmin or TT). The Garmin Nuvis are nice too and have useful features like a world clock, common phrases in different languages, currency converter and measurement converter.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I haven't had time to look at any units in detail yet but it seems like Garmin is the way to go. They also seem to have the widest coverage.
    THANK YOU!

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Apr 3 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]417061[/snapback]</div>
    Just note that Garmin is releasing the 2xx Nuvi series which could be a good alternative to the more expensive 6xx Nuvis... I'm not sure when the 2xx series will reach the shelves.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Apr 1 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]416127[/snapback]</div>
    If you have not gotten your GPS yet, Costco has the Garmin 2720 on sale for $399.00 w/coupon. I have used this model and it is an excellent model with touch screen, voice etc. . . If you need one I can get you one, coupon that is. :p

Wildkow

17. johnfried

johnfried New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 9 2007, 05:18 AM) [snapback]420182[/snapback]</div>

can you send me a coupon?

Thanks,

John

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    oopsy! [attachmentid=7502]

Attached Files:

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(johnfried @ Apr 14 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]423492[/snapback]</div>
    I will try to relocate it for you. When maggieddd didn't respond in the affirmative or negative I kinda lost track of it but it should not be to hard to find. Also you might check online at the costco site as I now see the price is $349.99 and you might need a different coupon than the one I have which is a straight $200.00 off. You also might want to check online for some specials, like here I see that some of these have remotes included whereas the Costco one does not mention this at all. Also there is and optional FM Traffic attachment available and that would be an option at extra cost, but still it's something my $2,000.00+ Prius GPS does not and can not do among many other things. :angry: Some folks don't like shopping online like this but personally I feel that if you use a credit your money is pretty safe although sometimes with support and returns to these companies are not the easiest.

Wildkow

p.s. If you have the $Bucks$ chech out the Garmin Nuvi 660 or 670, that is one sweet unit! :D

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Apr 1 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]416197[/snapback]</div>
    Well then, the Street Pilot is WAY for you ... as it's a little pricy ... BUT, it does everything, sees everything, knows everything, not so bulky, touch screen, and is simple to use.