1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gps suggestions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by hotbrass, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not get the nav unit with my Prius IV because I needed to buy a car after a redlight runner totaled my truck, and the one I bought was all they had.

But I am now looking to get a GPS vehicle nav system. I am leaning toward the Garmin 265WT.

What about Magellan and Tom Tom?

What is a good resource with the hottest and newest models?

Thanks!

2. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry about your truck!

I've found some good info here with the constantly-changing GPS landscape. Product reviews - Electronics reviews, computer reviews & more - CNET Reviews

CapeAnn

3. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I purchased a Garmin 1390T two weeks ago after looking at the forum comments on GPSpassion. The Tomtom 750 also looked intersting although the running costs for the HD service are too high to justify and the units weren't available in time for my trip into Europe. There is talk of Garmin creating a link to the car via the obd socket like the scangauge, so if you dont alreday have a scangauge this might be of interest. Good luck.

4. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I like TomTom, I prefer their user interface and map display which offer me all the info on screen that I want. But Garmin are also very good.

I don't rate Magellan's devices.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a Navman at work and own 2 TomTom units, an older One XL and a brand new XL. Although the XL reads street names I prefer the One XL. The Navman does not measure up to the standard of either TomTom. The TomTom XL can have a traffic conditions antenna connected to it, but the service is not yet available in Adelaide.

6. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't spend too much money. In 2 years, a $200 dollar unit will be better than the $500 dollar unit you buy today. Traffic info is worth it for some people. I ended up paying $550 for a GPS and $150 for lifetime traffic. Then the whole thing died in 1.5 years.

I paid $200 for a Garmin with lifetime traffic. At least it is cheap. And then it is faster than my old unit.

With respect to those integration/bluetooth stuff. Don't believe it until you see that someone got it to work. For example, bluetooth has been enabled for GPS for at about 4 years. Do you know anyone who actually uses a GPS as a bluetooth device to make phone calls. I don't know of anyone. I tried. It is extremely difficult. So don't believe it until you see it. Early adopters of new tech often get burned.

7. fadec

fadec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought the Nuvi 1300 very happy with it. Target has it on sale for $169.