1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grabbing Brakes in Reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LINKSTER, Jul 26, 2009.

1. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whenever I park (1 hr+) my 2010 class 1V on a small incline and then go to back up, the brakes violently grab the disks like they are seizing up. After driving a mile I can back up totally normal. It only happens on an incline and never on an even surface. Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what might be causing it?

Linkster

2. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This seems to be a known event. There's a thread that talks about this problem: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/65875-braking-in-reverse.html

Here's how to avoid it from the link:

3. rsgillmd

rsgillmd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't specifically noticed the problem but when I am parked on an incline I have my parking brake applied anyway. I put my foot on the brake pedal and turn on the car. Keeping my foot on the brake pedal, I release the parking brake and put the car in reverse. Then I ease off the brake pedal.

I'm not sure how you do it. That is why I spelled out what I do. Hope it helps.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you're not invoking the hill-hold feature and then
    getting weird behavior when it releases.
    _H*

5. rahamanmd

rahamanmd Prius for Change

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This happened to me once while reversing out of my garage (level surface).

6. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had this happen to me, today. Level office parking garage.

The lightest touch in reverse caused the brakes to seize up quickly. Seemed to do it 2 or 3 times before it settled down. The gas engine seemed to have come on, too. It was almost as if the brakes settled down once the engine kicked in.

Brand new Model IV Prius -- 2 days old.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Grabbing Brakes in Reverse would be bad for your hands. Brakes Grabbing in Reverse is another issue. :D

Tom

8. hotgrass

hotgrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it happened to me this morning, since i needed to move forward in order to not hit the car behind me, the brakes where pretty violent in the incline moving forward but not going on reverse. weird.

9. CaptBud330

CaptBud330 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has happened to me at least a dozen times on level surfaces forward and reverse. There is definitely a problem with this otherwise wonderful automobile.
    I questioned the local Toyota service manager and they were unaware of any problem. I contacted Toyota technical services and they had not heard of any problem either.
    They said they would make a note in regard to the VIN of the automobile. I honestly believe the NHSB should be involved in forcing Toyota to resolve this problem.

10. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had the problem too, forward and reverse...but after pumping the brakes for a bit it goes away quickly....sure GRABS fast and furious until then...even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal and it really seizes up....noticed mine in forward motion first, not reverse...though I've had it happen both directions...and only when the car is first starting up.

11. CaptBud330

CaptBud330 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Found a solution. Put the Prius in park. Apply the brakes and shift out of park to D or R. Grabbing brakes solved. I now know when I get in the car if the brake pedal feel hard , I just pump it a few times. You can feel the brake pedal go further down and you won't have grabbing brakes at all. I sure hope Toyota fixes this. I have 4100 miles on my 2010 level IV and the problem still exists.

2 people like this.
  12. web1b

web1b Active Member

The brake pedal gets very stiff and then goes back to normal after pumping several times.
    See video:
    [ame=http://www.vimeo.com/9170569]Strange Brake Issue on 2010 Prius on Vimeo[/ame]

I noticed the problem most often after sitting with the ignition on (listening to the radio at lunch) and then backing out of a parking space, but I cannot reliably reproduce it 100% of the time.

1 person likes this.
  13. Sieglinde

Sieglinde New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had it happen only on level surfaces since I have not had the opportunity to park the car on an incline since I bought it. I found it disturbing but didn't feel that it was dangerous. The brake would grab, I would do the normal thing and release the brake and then it may grab again but usually it quit grabbing after one or two uses.

14. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After a meeting with the dealership manager today the (6th) and their QC man, they agreed to take the car for as long as they need it to experience what I have been telling them about. So guess what? It happened again at three stops on the way home. I don't know if this is important, but each time the pedal was lower than normal?? I'll let everyone know the results in a week. Other members talk about "getting around it". I am not interested in getting around it, I want a normal bake system. I have not experienced any other brake problems that I have read about on other threads. The car is still under warranty.

Linkster

15. IMUSA76

IMUSA76 IMUSA76

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had the grabbing brakes only on inclines when I'm backing up, its acting like the hill assist is on, but with out the indicator being on.

16. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

17. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If they are saying they do not know about this, they are lying once again. It is a well-reported problem. Until Toyota stops lying and fixes this, the fix I have found is to shift into park and then back into gear.

This company needs to stop lying to its customers. What will it take?