1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Graft and greed go unpunished

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Feb 15, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1401913_pf.html

Justice Official Bought Vacation Home With Oil Lobbyist
    By Susan Schmidt and James V. Grimaldi

A senior Justice Department official who recently resigned her post bought a nearly
    $1 million vacation home with a lobbyist for ConocoPhillips months before approving
    consent decrees that would give the oil company more time to pay millions of dollars
    in fines and meet pollution-cleanup rules at some of its refineries.

Sue Ellen Wooldridge, former assistant attorney general in charge of environment and
    natural resources, bought a $980,000 home on Kiawah Island, S.C., last March with
    ConocoPhillips lobbyist Don R. Duncan. A third owner of the house is J. Steven Griles,
    a former deputy interior secretary, who has been informed he is a target in the federal
    investigation of Jack Abramoff's lobbying activities.

Eight years of ragging on Clinton with no proof of anything important, but graft and greed
    are so ingrained in this administration that it is a non-news event. I'm confused. Should
    I admire the republicans for their tenacity or dislike the democrats for their lack of will?

Edited by Danny for the subtitle's vulgarity.

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Feb 15 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]390918[/snapback]</div>
    Clinton was guilty of lieing to the grand jury. I'd like to see you lie to a grand jury and try to stay out of prison.

I don't know anything about the story you quoted here. If something illegal happened, may those responsible get in trouble for it. However, I doubt they will, Gonzales is busy holding the gate open down in Mexico.

You make no mention of how the repubs are spending so many of your tax dollars to chase down this libby thing. I wasn't sitting on the jury, but I don't think there is a crime here. There was no outing of anyone, it's down to whether he lied to the justice dept or if he had his facts wrong for what he said. He should have wagged his finger, that makes a difference.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 15 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]391023[/snapback]</div>
    re: Libby trial the real story is going under the radar. Facts seem to have come out in the trial that Cheney told Libby to out Plame, but Cheney is getting a pass. Bush said who ever was responsible would be fired. Waiting for at least a public reprimand. Libby on trial for lying (when all accounts point to his faulty memory (unlike Clinton he had nothing to gain by lying) is just diversion from Cheney. I'd never lie to a jury of any sort, I'd just plead the Ronald Reagan defense "I can't remember" line over and over like Reagan did something like 100 times. That was a lie too, but again HE got a free pass. Remember how during the Iran-Contra trial Bush daddy's defense was he was taking a powder every time the subject was brought up? HE got a free pass. Clinton gets nailed for being entrapped for something insignificant, and no harm to anyone and no one's business but his, Monica's and Hillary's. Talk to me about justice! Once again, I say I admire the republicans for their tenaciousness, and deduct points from the democrats for their lack of spine.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Feb 15 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]391098[/snapback]</div>
    ...and Bush.

In his news conference, yesterday, Bush refused to confirm or deny that he authorized the outing of Valerie Plame as a covert CIA agent. Now, if he did not authorize it, why would he refuse to deny that it was done with his approval?

5. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

"...it's very similar to how I deftly handled Baker's question. I won't comment."

I can't be sure, but I think that's W describing how 'deftly' he handled the issue above (and, for context, will be handling any questions regarding the 2008 presidential election for "...those of you who are stuck following me for the next little less than two years.")

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's still a special prosecutor on the case, isn't there? There's no way you're going to get anyone to comment on the case with the SP still out there.